Turbo350 w/shift kit slamming 2nd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Earlier I had asked a question about changing fluid and filter in a TH350 at 10 years/10K miles, even if the trans works great and the fluid is still pink. In return I got a question about the fluid type and modulator age.

Answers are: I don't know the fluid type, and the modulator is much more than 10 years old.
Replace both...Dex/Merc for fluid; auto parts stores will carry the correct modulator for your trans, just let them know you have a TH350...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Earlier I had asked a question about changing fluid and filter in a TH350 at 10 years/10K miles, even if the trans works great and the fluid is still pink. In return I got a question about the fluid type and modulator age.

Answers are: I don't know the fluid type, and the modulator is much more than 10 years old.
i gave you my feedback on the fluid, so did nick.. i guess we just arent people :(

i would do the modulator and fluid, and i would use bulk dex/merc off the shelf so as to save money

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Replace both...Dex/Merc for fluid; auto parts stores will carry the correct modulator for your trans, just let them know you have a TH350...
so Im glad you are heree talking about a modulator. a lot of people on buick forums are r-tarded and dont think their 1991-1998 ish 4t60e doesnt need a new modulator or that its a preventative fix to replace it
oother than convincing them diaphrams dont last forever ,so they dont ingest ATF in their engines, how else do you convince them to replace it?

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
i gave you my feedback on the fluid, so did nick.. i guess we just arent people :(

i would do the modulator and fluid, and i would use bulk dex/merc off the shelf so as to save money
Guess I got tired of wading through the muck that people were throwing at each other. Next time I'll just PM Nick.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

If the fluid is still pink, I'd leave it alone. 10K miles is nothing, and I very much doubt condesation is a problem over the years. It working find is an indication it doesn't have any water in it, so I'd simply run it if the fluid looks that good. Trans fluid like motor oil, DOES NOT wear out. We only change these items because they become diluted with things like combustion soot, condensation in an engine, brass particles that normally will just lay in the bottom of the pan in most cases and burnt or worn clutch material in a transmisison. So when the fluid starts looking a little brown, not black, to late by then, but when it starts looking brownish, then it's time to change it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Guess I got tired of wading through the muck that people were throwing at each other. Next time I'll just PM Nick.
The cheapest fluid you can find for a Th350 and Th400 will work fine. I usually buy Dex/Merc at Walmart by the gallon in the Super Tech brand. You find anything cheaper and it works just fine. It's a bummer they don't have OD cuz they are pretty close to bullet proof transmissions. Granted, the Th400 tolerates more abuse than the Th350, but I still used Th350's for 3 reasons when racing, and when you build your own, it doesn't matter how many you break but I did end up rebuilding mine about every year but it was my street/strip truck and I daily drove the living pisss out of it overheating and the whole nine yards in Los Angeles bumper to bumper to traffic. Cam to big, custom big ass radiator, flex fan, electric fan, add on trans coolers etc, that bish still ran 220-230 sitting in traffic. Th350 has a hair better first gear, lighter in weight, and about 15-20 less parasitic hp loss to the rear wheels so that's what I ran and it was usually just enough to give me the edge over my opponents that were running Th400's, so I didn't mine building it every year when I'd break it. Normally them full throttle 2nd gear shifts at 6500-7000 is what would break them. Either the intermediate race or the input shaft. Till I replaced the right parts then they'd last a bit longer but something always broke requiring an R&R so I just went through the whole thing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Having a contingent of racing customers is always good for business and if you build trust w/them, do right, etc they won't ever go anywhere else...

I never install the shift kits as you can do pretty much everything the B&M kits call for independently, and largely same for the Transgo stuff as well...Most of those kits dual feed the high clutch through transfer plates but if you dual feed internally, block off the 2-3 accumulator (and 1-2 for real high stall / full race apps) and leave out check balls, you don't need the shift kit itself if the trans is on the bench (though they are good for when the trans is still installed).
Oh yeah, many times those kits were installed in good working transmissions so I didn't rebuild it, until they broke it. Then since it had the kit there and they paid for it, I went ahead and just used it to save me the labor of the dual feeding hole drilling and capping off. Also, once you do that, there's no going back where you can always take the kit out. Pros and Cons, just like everything.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Oh yeah, many times those kits were installed in good working transmissions so I didn't rebuild it, until they broke it. Then since it had the kit there and they paid for it, I went ahead and just used it to save me the labor of the dual feeding hole drilling and capping off. Also, once you do that, there's no going back where you can always take the kit out. Pros and Cons, just like everything.
What do you mean by "no going back"?

Internal dual feeding involves simply tapping the high reverse feed passage in the case for a 3/8x16 or 3/8x24 set screw then installing the set screw, leaving the high drum's center seal out and middle large stator sealing ring. All of that is reversible though I dont know why someone would want to. And when i say reversible, i mean it can be undone once the trans is out. Some procedures, like blocking the 4th accumulator bore feed hole in a 700R4 or 4L60e with a 1/4" check ball is irreversible, even with the trans apart on the bench....

If the kit was already there then yes, i do the same and reinstall it unless the intended application has changed post rebuild and kit is no longer a good fit but that's rare.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What do you mean by "no going back"?

Internal dual feeding involves simply tapping the high reverse feed passage in the case for a 3/8x16 or 3/8x24 set screw then installing the set screw, leaving the high drum's center seal out and middle large stator sealing ring. All of that is reversible though I dont know why someone would want to. And when i say reversible, i mean it can be undone once the trans is out. Some procedures, like blocking the 4th accumulator bore feed hole in a 700R4 or 4L60e with a 1/4" check ball is irreversible, even with the trans apart on the bench....

If the kit was already there then yes, i do the same and reinstall it unless the intended application has changed post rebuild and kit is no longer a good fit but that's rare.
Well yeah, I guess you could take the set screw out, and I think I might have gotten confused with another mod that I'm can't recall what it is on another model where you drill a hole in the case. Once it's drilled, it's drilled out, there's no going back. Also no going back without an R&R. I have done stage 2 kits, and after about a month and a broken driveshaft, then a broken rear end, they wanted a stage 1 kit installed. So, I just charged the labor, saved the stage 2 drilled plate for my next stage 2 build, but still charged for the kit even though I had it already, so it saved him a few bucks that way.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If the fluid is still pink, I'd leave it alone. 10K miles is nothing, and I very much doubt condesation is a problem over the years. It working find is an indication it doesn't have any water in it, so I'd simply run it if the fluid looks that good. Trans fluid like motor oil, DOES NOT wear out. We only change these items because they become diluted with things like combustion soot, condensation in an engine, brass particles that normally will just lay in the bottom of the pan in most cases and burnt or worn clutch material in a transmisison. So when the fluid starts looking a little brown, not black, to late by then, but when it starts looking brownish, then it's time to change it.
I only recommends changing it because it has been used over 10 years and without knowing the type used then, refreshing the fluid won’t hurt because if it was dex/merc conventional then , it’s going to not the best cleaner forvarnish build up. Since he has a clean trans, I reckon keep it clean. But that’s kinky because it was assumed already he will be going in to service sometime Ning else, like a modulator

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Trans Fliud in itself is a great detergent as well as lubricant. If it's clean, undulited fluid, then it'll keep the valves clean and lubed even at 10 years old. As far a modulators go, it's just a vacuum diaphram inside a canister with a spring behind it. It either works or it doesn't, just like on or off. So if it's working fine, no real reason to change it IMO. My mind could be changed if someone else had a good reason why it's not true. Maybe I just put more faith in clean trans fluid than I should. But I"m pretty big on if it ain't broke don't fix it. I've seen nightmares where people have done things like removed their trans pan that never ever leaked in it's life. After a fluid and filter change, they were never ever able to fix their leak. Chances are they over torqued their trans pan and dimpled the holes but even with instruction to use a ball peen hammer and hammer to fix that, they again and again failed.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's a bummer they (TH350s) don't have OD cuz they are pretty close to bullet proof transmissions.
Man, that's for sure! Seems like GM got it right the first time, unlike the 700R4 that had all kinds of issues up until when, 5-6 years into production?

I have never run into anyone with a 700R4 in a pre-82 vehicle who didn't have some kind of issue with it.:confused:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
v
Man, that's for sure! Seems like GM got it right the first time, unlike the 700R4 that had all kinds of issues up until when, 5-6 years into production?

I have never run into anyone with a 700R4 in a pre-82 vehicle who didn't have some kind of issue with it.:confused:
at least its not like the bloat of the ford c6 becoming the E4OD. Ford skipped the "lets do a lockup converter and try 4 speeds with manual controls" they jumped straight to a 4 speed electronic trans and it took them almost the entire span of the e4od to make it accceptably reliable, and then they changed it to the 4r100 anyway LOL
They are also a lot bigger than say a 4l60e/700r4, they use way more fluid, they DONT cool in reverse!!! They parasaticially lose a lot of hp, and they arent the smoothest shifting trans around either. The C6 with an overdrive behind it (e4OD) is yeah...
You must be registered for see images attach

vs the th350 vs 700r4

althoughm, to be fair, the c6 and e4od are more comparable to the 4l80e, but im not going to give it that much credit

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think you mean 84. IIRC, 82 was the first year for the 700r4. The 82-84's were really bad. GM even offered some people to convert back to the Th350 when people got sick and tired of putting their new truck in the shop for transmission warranty work.
v

at least its not like the bloat of the ford c6 becoming the E4OD. Ford skipped the "lets do a lockup converter and try 4 speeds with manual controls" they jumped straight to a 4 speed electronic trans and it took them almost the entire span of the e4od to make it accceptably reliable, and then they changed it to the 4r100 anyway LOL
They are also a lot bigger than say a 4l60e/700r4, they use way more fluid, they DONT cool in reverse!!! They parasaticially lose a lot of hp, and they arent the smoothest shifting trans around either. The C6 with an overdrive behind it (e4OD) is yeah...

vs the th350 vs 700r4

althoughm, to be fair, the c6 and e4od are more comparable to the 4l80e, but im not going to give it that much credit
I have to admit, Ford did much better than Dodge. At least Ford tried and eventually did made a NEW 4 speed auto. Dodge's idea of a 4 speed OD auto, was they just took the same 904 and 727 which is their versions of the Th350/C4 and Th400/C6, they used the same transmission, put an electronic OD unit on the back, gave it a different model and there you go. BOOM, 4 speed OD. Which, I have to say, there are advantages to that, and I had thought at one time I'd like to have gotten one those Dodge Units and see if I couldn't somehow adapt it to a Th350 or Th400 like a cheap gear vendor. I never did get to play with one since I quit building by then. I did very few Dodge and Ford transmissions, mine were mostly all GM RWD. I think a total of 3 transaxles is about all I've done, 2 GM and a damn, oohhh crud what was that thing in the Plymouth Reliant?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think you mean 84. IIRC, 82 was the first year for the 700r4. The 82-84's were really bad. GM even offered some people to convert back to the Th350 when people got sick and tired of putting their new truck in the shop for transmission warranty work. Though the valve bodies in the 82 through 84 are sought after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko