Tuning for altitude

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Weird experience years ago, I had never driven at any attitude above sea level, didn't know it had any affect on carb, timing, etc. Boy, I found out the hard way and almost got stuck in the mountains above Boulder, Colo.. I kept turning the idle jet up, down, this was a two bbl. on my slant six, until I finally got the engine running. I never thought anything about the air being to thin to ignite the fuel. I was still running the same settings when I left Louisiana. I still had to run a little lean because Denver is the "Mile High City".

@C10MixMaster,
What does that "13.4" mean as you are saying air/fuel mixture? I don't know anything about those things, my carb is totally mechanical. I don't ever have to be concerned about air/fuel mixes, but what are those numbers?

RawkerStatus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Angel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
I'll be towing with the suburban, I'm thinking I might need to invest in efi to not deal with altitude change and fuel economy. On that note is the Holley Sniper kit better than the Edlebrock?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Weird experience years ago, I had never driven at any attitude above sea level, didn't know it had any affect on carb, timing, etc. Boy, I found out the hard way and almost got stuck in the mountains above Boulder, Colo.. I kept turning the idle jet up, down, this was a two bbl. on my slant six, until I finally got the engine running. I never thought anything about the air being to thin to ignite the fuel. I was still running the same settings when I left Louisiana. I still had to run a little lean because Denver is the "Mile High City".

@C10MixMaster,
What does that "13.4" mean as you are saying air/fuel mixture? I don't know anything about those things, my carb is totally mechanical. I don't ever have to be concerned about air/fuel mixes, but what are those numbers?

Yes that's 13.4 parts air to 1 part fuel.. Theoretical ideal is 14.7:1 , Richer to a point will produce more power and leaner to a point will get better mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesardelacadena