Truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sebe4848

Reaction score
First Name
sebastian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have a 1986 c10 that was running, but now does not want to turn over. I have replaced the battery and the starter both. It was running, but then one morning I turned the key and all I hear is a ticking sound. Whenever I am trying to start it up I can see the belt and fan moving, but no ignition whatsoever. I have checked all my grounds/wires and cleaned them as well as greased them up. Double checked all electrical connections as well. The steering column is inverted to the point where I have to hold the wheel sideways in order to drive the truck straight and when I was replacing the harmonic damper the rod that it connects to had a lot of play in it, to the point that if I pulled on it you could hear it moving back and forth inside the block. Any help would be appreciated, this is a 5.7/350 that is under the hood by the way. Thank you.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are your battery cables original? They corrode from the inside out so you won't see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sebe4848

Reaction score
First Name
sebastian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yes the battery cable are original, I have cleaned the parts that hook up to the battery that are visible. It was stating just fine a couple days ago then all of a sudden it just will not start. Even if the battery cables are corroded it should still starting giving that I just put in a new battery.

brianhannon

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383/ TH350/10 Bolt
Did you replace the solenoid when you replaced the starter as well?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
First check is for a spark.

Pull a spark plug wire off. Put any old plug into the boot on the end of the wire and lay the plug on the engine - somewhere that is not painted or wicked rusty/greasy. Also, put it some place that you can see it while turning the ignition switch.

Crank the engine over and watch the spark plug. You should see a bright blue arc across the electrode gap happen every other rotation of the engine.

Report the results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man