Truck doesn't run right in drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78 Square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I just had my rear main seal changed, my flexplate replaced because it had a crack in it, and my intake manifold gasket (and apparently missing bolts in the back replaced) and valve cover gaskets replaced. I don't have a garage or the equipment needed to change a rear main seal or a flexplate so I had a close family friend do it all for me at his garage. Before hand, the motor ran great. Now all of a sudden the motor shakes and the truck doesn't run up to par once it's put into drive. It idles alright in park. It still doesn't sound like it used to but it doesn't shake. It almost sounds like it's congested. It isn't my exhaust because it ran fine before with the same set up and I just changed the plugs so I don't think it's them but I'll still probably check them once I get the chance. I very highly doubt it's anything he did wrong because he's worked on these trucks for since before I've been born. I didn't mess with the carb at all other than to put a manual choke on it but apparently the PCV valve and the brake booster were hooked up to the wrong ports. It ran fine before he changed them around. The PCV is now at the bottom front now and the brake booster is at the bottom back now. I doubt it's that but it's just a thought. Any ideas what it could be? It's not the motor mounts or anything. I'm thinking it's either the carb or a vacuum leak I can't find

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
He had to have the distributor out. What is your timing set at?

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check you plug wires
make sure they are going to the right plugs
maybe one got crossed

78 Square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The timing is set at 8. I checked it yesterday to make sure and I checked all the wires were right. It has me at a loss. It just doesn't make sense why it ran perfect before

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I agree check wires make sure each is going to correct spot

78 Square

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I went to start the truck this morning. it was hard to start then it backfired out the carb and now it runs perfect. I don't know what the heck is up with that thing. I definitely think I'm gonna switch to a Holley

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
That is very odd maybe a plug in fuel filter and it sent her through that would cause it to idle OK and run like crap while movin

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Nah man stick with your quadrajet, way better than a holley or edelbrock in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrettkeith