tranny guys i need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
are there any tranny guys here

i started tear down on my 4l80 and after getting the valve body off and pulled the check balls i notice the holes in the case where the check balls sit are smashed out.

is there a fix for that or is my case junk

its hard to see in the picture but the cups are mushroomed out

Attachments

• check ball.jpg
    check ball.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
As you suspect, you cannot use new steel balls in conjuction with distorted seats - the contours won't match up, and they will leak past. You might want to try these plastic balls, they are slightly flexible which allows them to conform to the valve body. By all accounts they work pretty well - for awhile.

Steel check balls are hard and heavy, wearing separator plate ball seats from the repeated high impact of the ball on the seat.

The new Sonnax check balls 10000-08 (.250") are made out of tough, wear- resistant imidized plastic. The Sonnax imidized plastic balls seal better than steel balls because they conform to the separator plate ball seats. Elastomer or rubber check balls seal well. However, the elastomer material wears, reducing the size of the ball.

Similar imidized plastic balls have been used on some original equipment late model valve bodies with excellent results.
http://transmissiontechnologies.com/10-imidized-plastic-check-balls-automatics.aspx

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
ya i seen them plastic balls and was going to get some 7 bucks for 10 of them

but the seporator plate is not my problem that is my transmission case that is blown out the plate actually does not look to bad

i have not found a fix yet or even heard of the same thing happening to anybody else

i think my case could be tig welded to build it back up then shape the cup and polish it back up but i will just find a new case

unless someone knows any other fix for my problem

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i have not found a fix for the check ball damage to the case

i found a 97 to 03 4l80 case on ebay for 114 bucks shipped bought it and i had made a deal to buy a core 94 4l80 local for 150 bucks

so either way i will try my hand at rebuilding one and see if i get it right

i bought a manual that covers updates and the rebuild but still would like to hear opinions on what i should upgrade

plan to get the transgo hd2 shift kit already any other ideas

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Up grade the clutch packs and springs.
Here is a tool I made to compress the clutch located in the tail end of the transmission housing,by bending the fingers,in or out,it will fit a variety of transmixers.
Hones guys,thems is 'Grease and Oil Stains in them Long Johns",trust Meee.:emotions33:
You must be registered for see images attach

I use two pans for cleaning parts in,using stoddard solvent,wash and rinse,brake and parts cleaner would take the rinse and dry cycles to a new level,when the first pan gets dirty,then switch the rinse pan to wash and the once wash pan,cleaned out,goes to rinse.use the old solvent for cleaning the garage floor,pour it on,brush the real bad areas with a parts cleaning brush,pour on some floor dry,let it set for a couple or ten hours.sweep it up and grease and oil is gone.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i am thinking about running Alto Red Eagle & Kolene clutches and steels i think they run 7 clutches instead of 5

the local machine shop lets me use his parts cleaner it cleans stuff real good. its like a big dish washer. and i was thinking about brake clean before putting the parts together.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i am thinking about running Alto Red Eagle & Kolene clutches and steels i think they run 7 clutches instead of 5

the local machine shop lets me use his parts cleaner it cleans stuff real good. its like a big dish washer. and i was thinking about brake clean before putting the parts together.

That`ll work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man