Trailer tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
Thanks all for the replies!

I will need to go with the 205 height tire as I will need the space when maxed out. Load range E should give me some extra insurance

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Yes. You have the knowledge. I can’t wait to get new tires on my truck Ned trailer to see how much of an improvement over old stiff 10 ply at truck tires it makes
You must be registered for see images attach

I’m looking at that tire
I actually have those exact tires on a set of rims right now. They were on my 1974 C20 when I bought it and I swapped the rim and tire out for something else. Now they are on my donor suburban.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
15 “ wheels. Current tires are
F78 15 load range C

"F78-15" those tires are old. You are lucky you only blew out one!

Letter series tires started to phase out in 1978. 40 year old tires?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I actually have those exact tires on a set of rims right now. They were on my 1974 C20 when I bought it and I swapped the rim and tire out for something else. Now they are on my donor suburban.
Even 16.5? Lol. I m only getting 16.5 because I have 6 rims that I’m never gonna use and wagon wheels would look cool on a trailer

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
"F78-15" those tires are old. You are lucky you only blew out one!

Letter series tires started to phase out in 1978. 40 year old tires?
3 of the 4 are probably 15 years old. I replaced one last summer with the exact same tires, Duro is the brand. It does indeed say F 78 15 on it. They are bias belt tires

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
That would include the one that blew

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Hankook now makes trailer tires. I have been running the Vantra Trailer load range E. They seem much better built than the Carlisle or whatever other Chinese cheapo's are out there. They are a mid range price, more than the cheapo's, but less than Goodyear.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Trailer tires are a funny thing. By far, the best trailer tires I have run are made in China. There's some out there that are a much better quality tire than Carlisle.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@Red Rex So Andy, I am curious. Can you read the date code on the failed tire? What about the newer tire?

The three digit date code was replaced in 2000 with a four digit code.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
3 of the 4 are probably 15 years old. I replaced one last summer with the exact same tires, Duro is the brand. It does indeed say F 78 15 on it. They are bias belt tires
Jesus…15 year old trailer tires are an anomaly if they have self destructed just sitting still. Seriously.
If you have fenders you care about trailer tires are Russian roulette by the time they’re 5 years old. Especially if you’re going to drive it any distance

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Jesus…15 year old trailer tires are an anomaly if they have self destructed just sitting still. Seriously.
If you have fenders you care about trailer tires are Russian roulette by the time they’re 5 years old. Especially if you’re going to drive it any distance
I’d say it depends more on weight. I’ve seen a lot of old ass tires keep chugging on trailers but the tires were tall, at minimum they shared the load with 3 other tires, and weren’t used anywhere near weight capacity. I’ve seen some go when the weight factor comes back in lol

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
My car hauler has 4 different brands of worn out whatever tires. I pull trailer with Big Blue <<<< and it gets there and back.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’d say it depends more on weight. I’ve seen a lot of old ass tires keep chugging on trailers but the tires were tall, at minimum they shared the load with 3 other tires, and weren’t used anywhere near weight capacity. I’ve seen some go when the weight factor comes back in lol
Weight, speed, heat, distance.....how far, how hot, how heavy and how fast did those old ass tires run?
Just because you can poke along over to the dump at 47mph top speed with a load of kitchen garbage bags once a month and not blow a tire doesn't mean it's a good tire.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Weight, speed, heat, distance.....how far, how hot, how heavy and how fast did those old ass tires run?
Just because you can poke along over to the dump at 47mph top speed with a load of kitchen garbage bags once a month and not blow a tire doesn't mean it's a good tire.
I wasn’t referring to my tires. They are old, worn, large, heavy, wide, amd no doubt the weather checking and heat has caused the One to be on its last leg

I had chosen to use these tires because 1) they matched 2) I had them 3) the trailer had a full load of wood that needed to go a few miles before I could use it for it’s current purpose and as such a 10 ply that had some life left was a good option esp since I had no idea this idea would pan out. Fast forward to today, they have out served their purpose by a excellent degree and they will be replaced accordingly.

the tires I was referring to are the ones my dad Has on his skid steer trailer that for a long time had old ass tires, older than 2000, and he used up to 55 but for that time the 4 tires weren’t loaded more than a couple hundred pounds on top the weight of trailer which is very nicely balanced to when he would hookup and he used it this way for a long time. But these tires are the ones that will casually have nails sticking in them and they still work. Once he started having to move his skid steer more he put new ones on and kept one old for spare

they are a special size tho, not sure if the fact they are open wheels with rim clamps (like a mobile home) affects the situation or not, but the tires are definitely made to take abuse.. anyway.. yeah,so please don’t assume I meant my tires which I already fully understand what they are and how they are past their prime.

I totaled a car and got a nasty scar from the airbag because of a defective tire(Kelly, but not a Kelly edge) infact I still have an example of the tire from the opposite side (driver) if you want to see it. I cut the tread with bolt cutters to get part of the suspension out to get the wheel and tire off, but it’s mostly intact just been In the weather for a bit. It was a rather shocking experience and one I don’t want anyone to have to take part in (eating a culvert at speed in January) and I take tires very serious with regards to safety.
On the weight comment, my tire actually got the sidewall slit and bulge immediately after I pulled shy of 1000 pounds which is about 5x the normal weight of a full load, which isn’t a lot to think about, but it was hot, I drove at 70mph(15 more than normal) and my coupler has some odd wear… it wouldn’t tighten up to be properly snug snd it was doing some push-pull from the slack(I have to replace it, a cheapie hf bolt on), the trailer prob weighs close to..800.? Bed + frame + 14 bolt+ Wheel/tire + topper, I’m not certain but even tho two 10 ply are definitely able to handle that combined weight, the large footprint, at construction, stiff rubber, and all the previous variables probably all means a good amount of heat. A lot more than normal? Idk, but 30 minutes with load, after 7-9 runs in last year, all that taken together I’m sure quickly brought it from “will suffice” to sidewall slit and bulge

and they are from 2011. Old af. All I know is I’m not using them on road till I get the new 16.5 and throw on some wagon wheels I have that are actual trailer tires and are narrower.

what was the point again…? Oh yeah, I wasn’t complimenting my tires with the comment you replied to. I was complimenting the tires my dad used for a long time on his trailer that are 7x14.5 tires that are heavy duty tires which were being used very far under their rating and equally shared between 4 and thus I’m sure that’s why they lasted long despite their age.

I would expect them to be failure prone if they were still around in use ad he loaded his skid steer and tried driving that somewhere

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
Tires show 0906 so 15 years old

Forum statistics

Threads