Timing without marks....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So I have owned me 85 C20 for almost a year now. I have put countless new parts on her. Just a few more things and she should be good to go. Hopefully, this is my first old vehicle so everything has been a learning curve.

1. If the motor is cold she doesn't want to start, but will. Once warmed up she will fire right up. Sometimes when I shut her down she hiccups at me. I was told this is timing issue but I have no marks to base this off of.

2.Sometimes, not all the time, she will shift hard. While driving or when sitting to moving into gear. Also does not down shift if I mash on it.

3. Finally the alternator belt squeals most of the time. Looks like the belt goes at a angle so seems I just need to bend the bracket?

Just looking at where to start, thanks for the help guys and gals

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
1) Buy a timing tape
2) Find TDC and fix your timing tab

From there I suggest you redo your base timing./

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I made sure it as top dead center. I was not aware there was timing tape though. Although it still seems to be a degree or two off. How to I know if it is correct without a light?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I made sure it as top dead center. I was not aware there was timing tape though. Although it still seems to be a degree or two off. How to I know if it is correct without a light?

Unless you have extremely tight tolerances there will always be a small discprenacy between TDC and 0 on the balancer.

Timing tapes are needed when you aren't using a dial back timing light since you need to be able to see where your timing is at various rpms.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
ok, then I guess I'll get some timing tape.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
So I have owned me 85 C20 for almost a year now. I have put countless new parts on her. Just a few more things and she should be good to go. Hopefully, this is my first old vehicle so everything has been a learning curve.

1. If the motor is cold she doesn't want to start, but will. Once warmed up she will fire right up. Sometimes when I shut her down she hiccups at me. I was told this is timing issue but I have no marks to base this off of.

2.Sometimes, not all the time, she will shift hard. While driving or when sitting to moving into gear. Also does not down shift if I mash on it.

3. Finally the alternator belt squeals most of the time. Looks like the belt goes at a angle so seems I just need to bend the bracket?

Just looking at where to start, thanks for the help guys and gals

id try this if it was mine
1. turn the dizzy a little one direction and try starting it cold again, if its worse go back the other way a bit and try again. if no change in starting, you could check the choke. mine has one but i never need it. i havent had a chance to reset my timing yet either, i just tune it by ear lol... rev on it a bit and see if it responds quick and doesnt pop or backfire lol take it for a drive and see what happens lol

2. check the tranny fluid level? hot and level? if thats good, you might need to put a new filter in under the tranny pan. if youre mashing on it and it doesnt kick down, check the kick down cable thats hooked to the throttle linkage, that little nut might be loose, and the vacuum line running to the back of the tranny, maybe replace that bell looking diaphram.

3 tighten the alt belt and it should stop the squeek, and yeah if its crooked, id straighten that out too

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

3 tighten the alt belt and it should stop the squeek, and yeah if its crooked, id straighten that out too

I am more curious why the belt is not straight for. Pictures of this would help immensely.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
1. turn the dizzy a little one direction and try starting it cold again, if its worse go back the other way a bit and try again. if no change in starting, you could check the choke. mine has one but i never need it. i havent had a chance to reset my timing yet either, i just tune it by ear lol... rev on it a bit and see if it responds quick and doesnt pop or backfire lol take it for a drive and see what happens lol

2. check the tranny fluid level? hot and level? if thats good, you might need to put a new filter in under the tranny pan. if youre mashing on it and it doesnt kick down, check the kick down cable thats hooked to the throttle linkage, that little nut might be loose, and the vacuum line running to the back of the tranny, maybe replace that bell looking diaphram.

Thanks for the help! I'll give this a try and let you know how I fair. Like I said I'm new to these older motors and only tranny work I have ever down is change clutches. I'll check the kick down cable and vacuum line. I probably will not have time until Friday night.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I am more curious why the belt is not straight for. Pictures of this would help immensely.

I will see if I can upload one tonight. As mentioned it seems the alternator bracket is bent, not sure how.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well as I mentioned I'm new to working on these motors. But some there is no downshift cable at all or a vacuum line. So tonight I will be hooking up vacuum and working on timing. Downshift cable is ordered and I should have the first of next week. I'm going to assume this will help solve the shifting issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derek12345