Timing help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
One of two things.

1) You didn't mention, but you did disconnect the vacuum advance hose from the carburetor to the distributor, right? If not, it may be in vacuum advance when at idle (depending on which vacuum source is being used), and should be running something like 30 degrees advance.

2) The timing tab on the motor (the metal sawtooth thingie) is in the wrong place. There were three stock locations, basically 12:00, 2:00, and 2:30. The crankshaft keyway at #1TDC is at 45 crankshaft degrees clockwise from straight up on all Chevy small blocks: call it 1:30 o'clock looking at the front of the engine. The three timing tab locations are 40* counterclockwise from the keyway (5* total off vertical, called 12:00), 10* counterclockwise (35* total off vertical, called 2:00, though it's more like 1:00 really), and 2* counterclockwise (about 43* off vertical, called 2:30, though it's more like 1:30 really).

So where is your timing tab? And where is the mark on the flywheel when the engine is at TDC per firebane's instruction?

One permanent solution to this if they are mismatched is to put the correct timing wheel over the flywheel to match the tab location. The other is to mount a new timing tab in the correct location to match the flywheel. Either works. Both are pretty simple to do.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
One of two things.

1) You didn't mention, but you did disconnect the vacuum advance hose from the carburetor to the distributor, right? If not, it may be in vacuum advance when at idle (depending on which vacuum source is being used), and should be running something like 30 degrees advance.

2) The timing tab on the motor (the metal sawtooth thingie) is in the wrong place. There were three stock locations, basically 12:00, 2:00, and 2:30. The crankshaft keyway at #1TDC is at 45 crankshaft degrees clockwise from straight up on all Chevy small blocks: call it 1:30 o'clock looking at the front of the engine. The three timing tab locations are 40* counterclockwise from the keyway (5* total off vertical, called 12:00), 10* counterclockwise (35* total off vertical, called 2:00, though it's more like 1:00 really), and 2* counterclockwise (about 43* off vertical, called 2:30, though it's more like 1:30 really).

So where is your timing tab? And where is the mark on the flywheel when the engine is at TDC per firebane's instruction?

One permanent solution to this if they are mismatched is to put the correct timing wheel over the flywheel to match the tab location. The other is to mount a new timing tab in the correct location to match the flywheel. Either works. Both are pretty simple to do.

I did remove the vacuum line from the distributor when I did the timing. For TDC, it was hard to tell from looking from above, but it was roughly at 45 degrees or a 1:30 position.

In reading Firebane's instructions, what size is the head on the crank pulley bolt? I looked it up and it looked fairly small, and when I tried to turn the crank by the bolt today, it wasn't the size I thought it would be. Also, as I tried to turn it, the bold on the crank pulley would turn, without turning the pulley. I turned it but it would not tighten, and I was turning it to the right. Is it reverse threaded? I stopped trying to turn the motor from there when the bolt itself turned… Didn't want the bolt to come out and then we have more issues… If I continued to turn it right, would it tighten and I'd be able to turn the crank from the bolt? Was trying to find an easier way to turn the motor to move the hashmark than relying on turning the key to kick the motor over.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There is one large bolt that should be tight and allow you to turn the crank. I don't recall the size but it isn't very big.. maybe 7/16.

And no its not reverse threaded.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
It will turn over easier with all the plugs out.

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There is one large bolt that should be tight and allow you to turn the crank. I don't recall the size but it isn't very big.. maybe 7/16.

Hmm, I'll have to look again then. The one that I was turning earlier, turned easily like it was loose

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hmm, I'll have to look again then. The one that I was turning earlier, turned easily like it was loose

4 bolts are down there. 3 for the crank pulley and one for the harmonic balancer.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Don't make the mistake I did. Be sure that you're TDC on cylinder 1 on the compression stroke. Not with cylinder 6 on the compression stroke. My balancer mark and tab were off when that happened.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size

Should be a 5/8s

bucata206

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don't make the mistake I did. Be sure that you're TDC on cylinder 1 on the compression stroke. Not with cylinder 6 on the compression stroke. My balancer mark and tab were off when that happened.
Ya I had the timing light hooked up to the cylinder 1 spark plug wire. Still not sure how it could have been that off

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117