Timing chain replacement quesiton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I tore down my 87 V10 which has a 305 from 84. I have a couple oil leaks and figured I'd tackle them all at the same and install a new Edelbrock intake and SMI rebuilt Quadrajet. The gaskets are cheap on Rockauto so I decided to tackle everything in one shot.

Here is my question. I'm waiting for the oil pump to show up, everything else is here. I noticed the timing chain has way too much slack so a new one is going on.

1. Can I install the distributor without the oil pump installed? That way I can turn the crank and not loose timing.
2. Right now the top sprocket of the timing chain is pointing at 12 o'clock and the bottom sprocket is at 5 o'clock. The book says to turn the crank until the marks are pointing at each other which I guess is tdc for cylinder #6. Can I just remove the sprockets and install the new ones in the same position? Makes sense to me that I could.

Thanks

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It does`nt take that long to install a timing chain and cover,My personal feelings/experience is," MURPHYS LAW",so with that said,I would wait until the pump is in,turn the engine so the marks are in the 6-12 positions then install the new chain/sprocket set.
Just be sure to install the chain set and cover before installing the oilpan/gasket set.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Thanks, I just found out the oil pump should be here today and I just ordered it yesterday. Go Rockauto! Not such a big deal now. I'll install the oil pump tonight as well as the distributor. So kind of a moot point.

One new question.... How should I turn the engine with the front cover off. I don't have a tool to turn the flywheel. Should I just use a couple of washers and install the bolt for the balancer into the crank?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks, I just found out the oil pump should be here today and I just ordered it yesterday. Go Rockauto! Not such a big deal now. I'll install the oil pump tonight as well as the distributor. So kind of a moot point.

One new question.... How should I turn the engine with the front cover off. I don't have a tool to turn the flywheel. Should I just use a couple of washers and install the bolt for the balancer into the crank?

I`ll use a large channel lock pliers,wrap a rag around the cranking shaft end,one jaw against the balancer key to prevent slippeage and give it a turn.
the stack of spacers and front bolt works too,best if the sparking plugs is removed.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
A big screwdriver in the flywheel works for turning the motor too.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
hbot wire to the starter and use it to bump the flwheel areound with a battery

towman