Time to plan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rlpetty43

Reaction score
First Name
roman
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Hi folks new memebr here from Oklahoma, I have a 1977 3/4 ton silverado, but this isnt just any truck to me. So here is the Long story about this truck, I was was raised by my great aunt and uncle after my biological mother abbandon me when I was 15 monthes old, when I was 5 five on the way to the dump with my dad (actually great uncle but will always be dad to me) he gave me half the truck that he bought from the Oil field company he work for for 50 dollars in 79 or 80 I think. The years went by the truck got a rebuilt motor and was hit by a volkswagon and smashed the front end. I got my drivers liscense and the truck was my first set of wheels, I replaced alot of the body redid the interior and learn how twist wrenches on it and repainted it by the time I was a sophmore. I drove all through highschool and it was my daily driver for years. Currently it is sitting in my back yard has not been drivin since 2005.
Time for a plan to get it up and running again my curent hobbies include my addiction to my Jeep which I plan to tow with my truck my goal is to use it to go to the Moab with. altough I enjoy my Jeep my Bowtie has my heart.
Currently I am pondering a LS swap I will have plenty of time to figure it out as I will not be able to start for one or two years.
sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for all the advice. :boti:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sounds like You already have a plan. Welcome to the forum.
A lot of real nice people in here, ready to share whatyever they have to keep these good O~L trucks on the road.

rlpetty43

Reaction score
First Name
roman
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Thanks I will post up some pics later.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB, We needed another OK member. Actually need several more. These fuggin Texans are overrunning the damn place here.

ewwww weeeee, and it's another C20 truck too, and hoping for this LS swap. I'd love to see it come together. Feel Free to fire up a build thread in the Under Construction section. A great way to notate your progress on a time line and before and after photos. When it's all done, it's cool to go back and look it all over. :waytogo:

colthensley454

Reaction score
First Name
Colt
Truck Year
84 GMC and 87 Chevy
Truck Model
Both 1500 4x4
Engine Size
350 and 350
Welcome to the forum, man.
I understand what your wanting to do. I was 15 went my grandfather passed away and left me his 1984 GMC SB Stepside 4x4. It was my first set of wheels and I loved it. I drove all through highschool and it was my daily driver for years. In 2008 I wrecked it on the Interstate and kissed the wall, killing out the front clip and the frame. Currently it is sitting in my Ggarage and has not been drove since 2005. I am wanting to do a frame switch out frames and restore it back to its glory. I wish you luck on your adventure.

rlpetty43

Reaction score
First Name
roman
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Welcome to GMSB, We needed another OK member. Actually need several more. These fuggin Texans are overrunning the damn place here.

ewwww weeeee, and it's another C20 truck too, and hoping for this LS swap. I'd love to see it come together. Feel Free to fire up a build thread in the Under Construction section. A great way to notate your progress on a time line and before and after photos. When it's all done, it's cool to go back and look it all over. :waytogo:

glad to be here thanks I will start a build thread when I start, it will be one or two years before I will have the funds to start. At the moment I am planning to do a 6.0 with a nv4500 transmission IF I can find one. the body will pretty much be stock and wont be a show truck, my plans are just make a good reliable work truck that I can use to go as far as I want in.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh come on now, don't say a year or two. Drag everyone through the mud thinking you're starting today like I've done the last 3 years. BUT, I have made small accomplishments here and there. As it broke down and had to be fixed. :rofl:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

rlpetty43

Reaction score
First Name
roman
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Oh come on now, don't say a year or two. Drag everyone through the mud thinking you're starting today like I've done the last 3 years. BUT, I have made small accomplishments here and there. As it broke down and had to be fixed. :rofl:

one or two years is when I will be able to borrow money from my 401k to pay for it. I may start stripping it down in the meantime.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
one or two years is when I will be able to borrow money from my 401k to pay for it. I may start stripping it down in the meantime.

My sons used to rant at Me "Dad, You needs to be putting some money away, at least in a savings account, what will You do if You ever get sick and need money for a hospital???"
I tell them, I am putting money away, I`m putting it away into investments that I can enjoy Now, rifles, vehicles, motorcicles, tools, etc. and if something happens I need some money, I guess I`ll be crying when I have to git rid of some of My investments to pay for an emergency. thats all. :gr_grin:
Well Hey, a man has to do it today, because some life altering situation might happen that it could`nt be done in the future.

rlpetty43

Reaction score
First Name
roman
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
well its not like I will be withdrawing it it is a loan to my self which I pay myself interest. sorry didnt mean to get off topic.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Welcome! All squares are better with a good story behind them!

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I gotta chime in here, as I work on 401k plans as part of my job. this is my $.02, so take it or leave it. I wouldn't recommend taking a loan/withdrawal from 401k unless you are really hurting for money, it hurts you in the long run as the money wont be invested and wont be able to grow. The common thing people believe is that its a great deal since you pay interest to yourself, but remember you are getting double-taxed on the funds too - you pay them back with after-tax money from your paycheck, then when you take it out someday in the far future, you will be taxed on that money again. I've seen too many people getting up to 55-60 yrs old with small balances and they all wish they would have saved more when younger.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size