Thinking about a swap but want to keep my tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
3 pages and not a one useful comment to the OP... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Well he did say it is a down the road plan so down the road a bit we will get there and I said big block

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size

Ahh man its all usefull. Depends on what is considered useful by that person. Its really useful when i sit here laughing and my wife cant figure it out. And its useless to explain it to her cause she just don't get it haha

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
@Honky Kong jr i mentioned something about a 425 caddy motor before amd you said something about it not being a decent match to the sm465. Care to elaborate on that? I know the particular engine is from a Eldorado and you said something about it being from a fwd the block would need modded. But aside from that why not. I have researched it a bit and power from caddy engines is expensive. So that is out of the question. Its more to satisfy my curiosity than anything

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
@Honky Kong jr i mentioned something about a 425 caddy motor before amd you said something about it not being a decent match to the sm465. Care to elaborate on that? I know the particular engine is from a Eldorado and you said something about it being from a fwd the block would need modded. But aside from that why not. I have researched it a bit and power from caddy engines is expensive. So that is out of the question. Its more to satisfy my curiosity than anything
I’m not sure if the block is different it’s the bell housing that may give you troubles. Look for a 366TD it will give you plenty of low end grunt and you will have better luck finding one cheaper. There not as desirable as the 427s and way cheaper then a 454

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
You could go super unique and run a twin turbo'd SR20 and make an adapter to your trans.

Rebuild your 350 and throw a supercharger or turbo on it. Stroke it out to a 383

Swap it to a inline 6.... tons of options.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You could go super unique and run a twin turbo'd SR20 and make an adapter to your trans.

Rebuild your 350 and throw a supercharger or turbo on it. Stroke it out to a 383

Swap it to a inline 6.... tons of options.
Why stop there a 2JZ with a single 88 with NOS. Lol

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I can’t remember where I saw it but someone swapped a vortec 8.1l into their square and it was freakin cool. Apparently it’s an easier swap than a regular ls swap too cause the motor mount positions are the same as gen 1 small blocks and I think there was another reason but I can’t remember right now.

Honky Kong for the 21st century - FI big block

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Ive driven the 8.1s before. Nice but expensive. Even the wrecked ones are going for a primo. There was a Subaru sti engine for sale around here not too long ago... Hmmm.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
So my blue bomb is a dd with a strong 350 in it. For the most part its fun to drive even with my granny tranny. I would like a little more power under it. More torque than hp probably. Mind you this is just dreaming right now but what are decent options i have while keeping my tranny. The pto ability is the deciding factor on that. I know ptos can be hooked into transfer cases and what not but id rather not have to go buy something when i already have something to do the same thing. Not looking to break the bank either.

how did everyone miss this

You must be registered for see images attach

L29/21 454, L18 8.1 or ls swap is going to be your best option. buy a donor vehicle that is wrecked and pull the parts you need, otherwise you are looking at swapping parts on to the tbi motor in which you need heads,cam tuning , tbi mods, headers, exhaust is a wash as it wil be needed on either swap.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
The 8.1 is nice. Im very fond of the 2500 those couple years they used it. Towed a grain bin crane with one all over the dakotas and Montana. Always plenty of power and pretty fun too

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The 8.1 is nice. Im very fond of the 2500 those couple years they used it. Towed a grain bin crane with one all over the dakotas and Montana. Always plenty of power and pretty fun too
supposedly they really wake with just a tune.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I should probably refresh my browser more often so i dont have tard moments and say the same thing 2 different ways. :sorry:
how did everyone miss this

You must be registered for see images attach

L29/21 454, L18 8.1 or ls swap is going to be your best option. buy a donor vehicle that is wrecked and pull the parts you need, otherwise you are looking at swapping parts on to the tbi motor in which you need heads,cam tuning , tbi mods, headers, exhaust is a wash as it wil be needed on either swap.
Thats what im talking about haha a nice granny tranny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL