Think I need new springs? shocks? ROUGH RIDE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
So...I dont know jack about suspension.

The suspention on my 83 k10 suburban is INCREDIBLY stiff and the truck rides incredibly rough. I know these aren't Cadillacs but something must be wrong. Buddies bone stock 84 C20 rides like a dream in comparison. In mine, you feel EVERY bump and up between 60-70mph it vibrates pretty good but not like, death wabble. It does not feel like a wheel / tire issue. The tires appear to be wearing evenly and have no cupping or knots.

I don't think it's been lifted. But, the front of my truck currently sits a bit higher than the rear. Would it need to have been lifted to keep 32s from rubbing? Did the 6.2 trucks have stiffer suspension?

Where should I look first?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Theres a few things to look at. Post some pics of the springs, front and rear. Most of us can ID if they are stock or aftermarket and possibly even the manufacturer just from how the springs look. The most likely issue, if they are stock, would be frozen bolts, degraded bushings, or frozen shocks. If anything in the suspension is frozen up and not letting the suspension flex, it can have a huge impact on ride. It's also possible that someone put a 2.5-4" Rough Country spring kit on it, which has been described as "riding like a dump truck"....

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Front Driver
You must be registered for see images attach

Front Passenger

Rear Passenger

Rear Driver

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
My drive way is not level at all. I don't have a good picture of the full profile, I'll get one later.

Need any other pictures of suspention components?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Nope, those are all stock springs. I would say that the front shocks look almost like they are bottomed out though. And the rear shocks look old as hell. I would maybe start with new shocks for correct stock ride height. The suburbans always look low in the ass, even when they are sitting level. Its something to do with the body lines or the wheel well height, I remember @Vbb199 having the same discussion about his when he was replacing suspension parts.

The other thing I noticed in that second pic is that the bushing seems to be gone/crushed from that hanger. It might be worthwhile to look at some poly bushings or the ORD greasable bushings. The other thing that can make the front ride harsh is the front swaybar could be frozen up or seized. It might be worthwhile to unbolt it and lube up the bolt and pivot points.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The circled bushing looks like the bolt is resting on the bottom of the spring which would suggest the bushing rubber is either super deteriorated or missing. It might just be a trick of the camera angle though.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
I will take more detailed pictures and get them up ASAP.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Looks old, but idk if thats bad. yay or nay?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Looks old, but idk if thats bad. yay or nay?

Well, there's still rubber there, but it's definitely toast. I don't think that is going to be the cause of it riding rough though. It will make it jarring and "loose" feeling usually. Judging by the way that looks, I would bet you have a bunch of sleeves welded to the bolts as well, which makes it stupid hard to remove. I just did this on my K25 and it was a complete PITA. You need either a flame wrench or a good carbide sawzall blade and a lot of patience to remove and then burn out the old bushings. ORD kevlar greasable bushings are about $200 for the full front and rear set of every suspension bushing. I think Energy Suspension poly bushing might be cheaper, but you will need to grease them well before installation and never again after that, unless you get the greasable bolts and sleeves from DIY-4x.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
As an owner of several squares. If you’re comparing a c truck ( 2 wheel drive) to a K truck (4wheel drive) sounds about right. K trucks need kidney belts to be driven and C trucks are like floating on a cloud. Stock for stock that is. I would look into new shocks just because but if you want a plush ride, get a 2wd suburban. That’s what I’ve got and it’s like riding my living room couch down the road.

Ben

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Check the upper bushing of the front shackle. When I changed mine out the bottom one was fine, but the upper was almost wore through to the bushing in the frame.

FYI if you choose any type of lift spring I recommend the Tough Country EZ Ride. I had a 4" on my '79 K15 and it was the best riding 4WD Square I've owned.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Now....the previous owner claims that they built this thing to tow a cabin cruiser through the Ozarks. Of they were overloading the rear springs this would cause them to maybe be sagging a bit? Could that be whats cashing the ride hight difference?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Nope, those are all stock springs. I would say that the front shocks look almost like they are bottomed out though. And the rear shocks look old as hell. I would maybe start with new shocks for correct stock ride height. The suburbans always look low in the ass, even when they are sitting level. Its something to do with the body lines or the wheel well height, I remember @Vbb199 having the same discussion about his when he was replacing suspension parts.

The other thing I noticed in that second pic is that the bushing seems to be gone/crushed from that hanger. It might be worthwhile to look at some poly bushings or the ORD greasable bushings. The other thing that can make the front ride harsh is the front swaybar could be frozen up or seized. It might be worthwhile to unbolt it and lube up the bolt and pivot points.

The fender wells is what throws you off.... theyre deeper up front than the rear.

This is all 3/4 ton suspension on a 1/2 ton truck.... it gave it about 2 or 3" if lift....

73cheyenne

Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd try putting new shocks on it. Just get standard duty shocks if you want a good ride. Also, squirt some oil in between the spring leaves so they move easier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey