th400 pushing fluid out of dipstick dripping onto engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Did this for the first time about a month ago (terrible smell of hot ATF on exhaust manifold and lots of smoke while I was driving scared the crap out of me), drained 1qt of fluid and thought it was solved. Today on the way home from work I didn't see it but I did start to smell it again. Popped the hood back home and yep, it's doing it again.

The transmission isn't overfilled, and honestly it shifted better before I siphoned out 1qt a month ago. I'm baffled at why this is happening!

95% of my driving is stuck in traffic in the city for 30-45 minutes from home to work and back., if it matters.

Can I just ignore it? Sure it'll smoke like a mother****er but if you assure me ATF won't catch on fire under the hood I'll just ignore it!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
How do I confirm the vent is not clogged? (I'm assuming that's what you want me to check)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep:) you don't want to push dirt into the hole so keep that in mind! but it can be as easy as wiping the mud off or having to pull the tube out , clean it and reinstall it.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Also if that seems ok then drop the pan and take a look and change the filter while your there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30