TH350 disassembly and clean tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DnS421

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Hey guys, I have a 1983 K5 4x4 Blazer with the TH350 and it was rebuilt and only driven maybe twice and then parked, now the seals and gasket are all old and the trans has some mud and such on it so I’m going to hope that all the mechanical workings inside are still in good enough condition to use until I can get the extra cash for a full rebuild. I’m gonna buy a gasket and seal kit in the meantime so I was hoping that you guys could give me some tips and tricks as to what to specifically look for and clean while I have it apart replacing all the rubber. This will be my first time taking one apart so all help is appreciated! TIA!

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Assuming it was store properly, you shouldn’t need to do much, if anything. I’d replace the front seal (simply because it’s way to get to) replace the filter and gasket, and run it.

The internal seals and frictions don’t deteriorate unless the get hot, or contaminated with antifreeze. Pull the pan off, if the fluid is clean, run it. If the fluid looks like a strawberry milkshake, it’s had some water or condensation in it.

DnS421

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Assuming it was store properly, you shouldn’t need to do much, if anything.
The truck was just parked in the yard, we have a creek on the property that floods from time to time and I think some mud clogged the vents during one of those. I changed the fluid and it looked fine still had some redness to it and even felt like it still had some lubrication to it but the problem I’m having is that I ran the truck for a total of about 2-3 minutes just to see if the trans and brakes were working, about 10 feet forward and about 10 feet in reverse, all seemed fine straight into alll gears no noises no jerking motions, nothing. I get out of the truck after shutting off the engine and literally here the fluid bubbling inside of the trans pan, it sounded like a boiling pot of water. I’ve ran wire inside the breather tube but couldn’t get more than an inch or so in. Could I have a problem with the cooler and not the trans?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Check the vent, see it it’s broken or clogged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef