Tbi worth it or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
I've been going back and forth on the thought of going tbi.I've done alot of reading on here and seems like more trouble than worth. But I was gonna buy all new sensors and just reuse the ecm and tbi. Would it be worth my time or should i just stay with a carb

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've never had a TBI setup that wasn't dead reliable. I have a couple trucks that will be getting TBI swapped too.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I've been going back and forth on the thought of going tbi.I've done alot of reading on here and seems like more trouble than worth. But I was gonna buy all new sensors and just reuse the ecm and tbi. Would it be worth my time or should i just stay with a carb

If you want a good reliable DD, that can also play a lilttle, with decent mpg, TBI is the answer. If you want an all out pavement burner that takes you to your year of choice at and beyond 88 miles per hour, than you want TPI, with the flux capacitor mod.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
How much do the tpi setups cost though. What do they come on.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The easiest to deal with is the 90-92 Iroc Camaro TPI, but honestly, if I ever do another multiport setup, and I am emissions exempt, the holly Avenger MPFI is what I am getting...way superior to Edelbrocks offering, uses standard injectors, and is constantly improving due to NASCAR use. Self tuning too.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Its gonna be going on a 400 sb. N i know id have to have it programmed. But heres a question I heard today that you can only go so big with a cam. What exactly is the max cam u can run

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Its gonna be going on a 400 sb. N i know id have to have it programmed. But heres a question I heard today that you can only go so big with a cam. What exactly is the max cam u can run

You can tune for most truck cams, as they are usually lower duration. I personally would recommend the cam that is used in the GM HT383T crate engine. Its a roller cam, meant for use with EFI.
To answer your question of cost for TPI, you can pay anywhere from $250 to $2500.
I would look more into using TPI on a 400... I think there may be a modification that needs to be done for the steam ports in the back of the manifold.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Hmm how would i go about finding out about that. And what all would i need to run the tpi

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hmm how would i go about finding out about that. And what all would i need to run the tpi

Heres what I would do with a 400
Holly Avenger MPFI
062 Vortec heads, port matched. Full roller Valvetrain, 1.6 Roller rockers, 1.94 intake valves.
GM HT383 roller cam
10:1 compression at least
In an Emissions environment, I would use A FIRST manifold with EGR, a GM 411 ECM and Harness.
Engine would have the L31 timing cover, and Crank position sensor.
30# injectors.

On the less exspensive TBI side: Same long block combo as above, with Edelbrock Performer TBI, machined to 2" barrels, a CFM tech PortednThrottle body, or a Big Block 454 throttle body, with injector spacer, and super sucker T body spacer. Start with 13 psi fuel pressure.
Would have to tune it to optimize.
There is also a way to use Mass Air on a TBI setup, using factory GM parts, and a specially tuned Chip.

Last edited:

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Well seems like a big head ache lol. But im sure im over thinking it as i do with all projects but also weigh all obstacles. Im going to the local junk yard and ill be looking at the setups first hand to see what i think about the placements and all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazdar