TBI issues, please help diagnose...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Thank you for all the help folks. In the end those of you that guessed Temp Sensor were 100% correct. It didn't make any sense to me, but then again I'm new tp playing with computer controlled vehicles. I prefer something older with a carb that I understand. On my other two vehicles the only thing the temp sensor does is tell the electric fans to kick on or tell the gauges how hot the water is. I would not have suspected it would cause the computer to think it ws having issues. Oh well, live and learn.

So now another issue has popped up maybe you can help. Been driving the truck for several days now without issue. Yesterday my daughter came home and said the engine light came on but didn't change the way the truck ran. This morning I checked and it was a code 32 EGR. From what I have read that could just be a bad EGR, but more likely that I now have headers and a complete dual exhaust system. Does that sound right? I have read about replacing the EGR, or just doing an EGR delete. The truck is except from emissions here in CT so I'm not worried about blocking it off. But what will that do with the dash light? I'm guessing with it not connected the light would just stay on? I am not one to live with that, so are there any other options?

Appreciate your insight.....

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/87-91-chevy-tbi-issues-code-42.29926/page-3

Some helpful info for you here ^^^^

In relation to EGR.

In that thread, I'm going over EGR, knock sensor, code 32, 42, and 43, it's kind a jumbled up mess of words, explanations, rambling, I'm kinda a "mad scientist" type person that jots down all my thoughts all together, but detailed within can give you some insight on the EGR, EGR solenoid, and using a multimeter to test the solenoid.

Also, somewhere on the forum, Maybe in the pinned threads, another member does a layout of the EGR with a very fine description

This was more a case of a definite bad valve.

If you block it off, light just stays on all the time, I'm not so sure there's alot you can do with that.

When the motor gets put under load, or up a incline, or like bucket said, EGR solenoid opens. It attempts to pull vacuum on the EGR valve, letting on exhuast gas in to cool off the combustion chamber and prevent detonation.

If the passageway stays closed, or I believe even open all the time (blocked off), you will experience issues.

With the egr open (blocked off) at idle, cruise, or cold startup, you may have one of these problems......
Engine stopping after cold start, rough idle possibly, engine could stop at idle after deceleration for the mentioned 50 mph, and while cruising you could experience issues.

Personally for me, blocking off an EGR, I've never had such problems occur before, but that was on totally different motors, not a 5.7 TBI.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1