Tailgate letters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
4.1 6cylinder
Hey guys, I’m not at this point just yet, but I have a 1981 C10 with the embossed CHEVROLET on the tailgate that has a white highlight some how painted on.
So after painting the truck what’s the process to reapply the highlights? And making it look factory?? Anyone know how it was done at the factory? I’ve seen some venders offer the letter “stickers or decal or transfer” of some kind has anyone had any success with these?
Thanks

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Hey guys, I’m not at this point just yet, but I have a 1981 C10 with the embossed CHEVROLET on the tailgate that has a white highlight some how painted on.
So after painting the truck what’s the process to reapply the highlights? And making it look factory?? Anyone know how it was done at the factory? I’ve seen some venders offer the letter “stickers or decal or transfer” of some kind has anyone had any success with these?
Thanks
There are two ways to do this, if you tailgate is already painted body color, you buy the letter kit and carefully and precisely apply the letters and then seal the letters and paint with clear coat.

Or, you paint the area where the letters are whichever color you want them to be… use the stick-on letters as a template (stencil) then paint your tailgate body color..
Remove the stickers to reveal a perfectly painted CHEVROLET.
You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^ What he said, but I would not clear coat over the vinyl stickers. If you're that worried about the longevity of them, buy 3 sets (at $8.95) and then every 10-20 years you or the next owner can replace them fresh!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg