Tailgate and Window conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Classic Style

Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
5.3L Vortec
Howdy, I'm new here and my name's Randall, and so far digging what I see. I'd like to find out if anyone knows the answer to my question, and if not, maybe I can contribute something over the next few months.

I'm looking to convert my '73 K5 tailgate and roll-up window to a truck tailgate and lift-up window. Has anyone done this before, and does anyone know if there's a kit available? I realize a kit is pretty unlikely, but if the glass and frame for the lift-up window have already been made, I'd like to at least simplify my job a little.

If it's not available, I'm probably going to start fab'ing one over the next few months in my "free" time, and I'll post pictures/specs of what I make here.

Oh, and which truck tailgate should I be using for this conversion? I'd like to keep the cables and latches I already have if possible.

Here's what I'm working with. My girl up and running the first time after getting her Vortec5300 motor around last Summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyReBxgIWNo&feature=youtu.be

Cheers,
Randall

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Dude that thing is in nice shape, nice job on the conversion! Welcome aboard!!! :)

Classic Style

Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
5.3L Vortec
Dude that thing is in nice shape, nice job on the conversion! Welcome aboard!!! :)

Thanks! She's got that great 20 ft view right? Just don't get closer than 20 ft and she stays gorgeous :)

Actually she's pretty rust covered and beat up. The mud might as well be welded to the chassis for all the good a grinder does. But, she came to me running for $1400 in the summer of 2011. Drove home from San Bernardino to near Ventura (2 hours or so), backfiring like a tommy-gun the entire way!

Here's a quick list of some of the stuff she's got since the adoption.
Engine swap from 350 to 5.3L 2001 Tahoe engine
4L80E trans
NP205 still in her, but swapped with one that came from a TH350
New front fenders/hood (still the 73 style), and I pre-wrinkled the right side of the brand-new hood (dammit!)
2000 Ford Ranger bench seats up front
New Desert Tan carpet
Aluminum radiator
AirLift rear suspension atop three leaf springs
a whole *&$@ ton of rustoleum primer paint

The left front frame horn has taken a hit (presumably from a rock) under her previous owner, so now any new radiator core support I put in, or new front bumper, has to be redrilled. Meh.

RetroC10Sport, yes, exactly what I'm talking about. Make it yourself, or did you find it somewhere?

Classic Style

Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
5.3L Vortec
Offered from the factory in South America.

~_~ dreams of an easy solution dissolved in a single sentence.

So it looks like I'll be creating my own and I'll do a write-up on what happens. If anyone finds something else usable, I'd appreciate a link, schematics, anything.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
~_~ dreams of an easy solution dissolved in a single sentence.

So it looks like I'll be creating my own and I'll do a write-up on what happens. If anyone finds something else usable, I'd appreciate a link, schematics, anything.

At least you know the possibility is there :High 5: I'll take a guess that the tailgate will be the easiest part. That window may be the doozy but obviously is doable. How are your fab skills? :)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You would need a pickup tailgate and ALL the related hardware, as it's all different. All the bolt holes are already in your K5's bedsides.

Maybe the rear glass setup from a first gen K5 could be modified for use? I think the tailgates are similar in width, might even be the same.

Classic Style

Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
5.3L Vortec
Yeah, not a bad thought. But I think a Gen1 K5 may be equally hard to find around here in the People's Republic of SoCal. I was looking around on Leer's site to see if they have a door that is already fab'd that I could modify the top to accept, but first glance didn't yield much. I'll be taking some measurements this weekend and just start the documentation post.

If anyone has any strokes of genius, I'm all ears.

@Bucket, all the hardware is different? Fsck. OK, so the follow-up question is, would I be better of going to a later style tailgate with the folding arms/etc, or stick with the same generation? I'm looking at possibly upgrading the front clip to the '80s style at some point, so making the tail match as well might make sense. Thoughts?

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
My 97 Yukon has a tailgate and upper window like your talking about maybe looking at that to modify. Might work.

Classic Style

Reaction score
First Name
Randall
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
5.3L Vortec
Would you mind measuring dimensions of the glass?
Width at the bottom
width at the top
height at the corners and middle
I assume it has a convex curve to it in the middle?
Also, a close up picture of the latch would be very valuable.

Thanks!
Randall

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, not a bad thought. But I think a Gen1 K5 may be equally hard to find around here in the People's Republic of SoCal. I was looking around on Leer's site to see if they have a door that is already fab'd that I could modify the top to accept, but first glance didn't yield much. I'll be taking some measurements this weekend and just start the documentation post.

If anyone has any strokes of genius, I'm all ears.

@Bucket, all the hardware is different? Fsck. OK, so the follow-up question is, would I be better of going to a later style tailgate with the folding arms/etc, or stick with the same generation? I'm looking at possibly upgrading the front clip to the '80s style at some point, so making the tail match as well might make sense. Thoughts?

I'd use whatever tailgate and hardware I come across first. I think they all use the same mounting locations. I had thought all of them had folding arms until the last few years of production. I know my '79 and '84 both came with the steel arms.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD