t-case has WAY too much fluid - from tranny?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
I've been having some small ATF leaks on the garage floor and have been chasing them out. Tonight I took the fill plug out of the t-case and at least a pint of fluid shot out of the hole. Nice and clean, too, just like the new fluid I recently put in my tranny. So is it the output of the tranny that's bad or the input of the t-case, or both? What parts should I order when I go to the parts counter? I know there's an adapter between the two - are there gaskets at the interface? This is a 4L80e / NP 241 combo in my 3/4 ton burb.

Will I lose much fluid from the tranny if I have to replace the output seal? Do I have to drain first?

Please help - if I don't get it fixed this weekend we'll have to take the minivan camping the next weekend, instead of the burb. :bawl: Can't have that!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't recall for sure which seal is the culprit, I'm no trans expert. I think it's the t-case input seal. The adapter has an o-ring on the front and a gasket on the back.

If it just slowly transfers fluid over time, you can still drive it until it's fixed. Just drain the excess fluid every so often an add it back to the trans.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
One gasket iirc on the adapter.

I would think tcase input is bad. You will lose some from the tranny when you pull the tcase.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Thanks guys. I found out seals are cheap so I bought both the tranny output and the t-case input today. But I may go with Bucket's suggestion for awhile and let it ride! (with monitoring, draining as necessary.)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks guys. I found out seals are cheap so I bought both the tranny output and the t-case input today. But I may go with Bucket's suggestion for awhile and let it ride! (with monitoring, draining as necessary.)

Yes the 4wd 4L80 has a rear transmission output seal and a transfer case input seal. Looks like it might not be too bad to change out. As you can se there is a return port below the seal. Not sure how this all works between the transmission and transfer case. I believe the transmission output shaft is lubricated just like the slip yoke and thus needs a return port for ATF to be able to return to the pan while the seal separates the main body from the pan. I dunno. But one thing to check for is to see that the input gear on the transfer case is in good order and not cracked or wore allowing fluid through the gear and into your transfer case.

4wd 4L80 rear output seal
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1