Sway Bar on lowered Squares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
This is what I did this weekend. Here's how I did it, for those that might want to follow suit. My truck has a reasonably tight original suspension, now lowered with 2" dropped spindles and 3/4 of a coil cut from the front spring. This gives me a slight nose down rake with a 4" drop in the rear (shackles & hangers). With the new powertrain, this is a fun ride, until you cross about 65 mph! At highway speeds, it feels really floaty, and it really does roll a good bit in a turn, though not as much as it did at stock height. In any case, I want it to handle as well as my lowered Tahoe. I opted for the big 1.25" sway bar from a C30. Tony Kee, my favorite Square salvage guru, hooked me right up for a very reasonable $60. My pick & pull gets $20-$30 +my labor. Add to this the cost of new hardware and a Prothane bushing kit from Summit. Tony gave me the bushing clamps, and I supplied new grade 8 bolts, washers and locking nuts. You'll need (8) 3/8"-16 x 1.5" bolts, 8 split lock washers, 8 flat washers, and 8 lock nuts. See the photos for more....
Now, with any lowering, the stock sway bar install will begin to bind. The lower you go, the more it binds. For this reason, I did not use the frame stand that usually mounts the two center bushings. If you already have a sway bar, you may consider this change after looking at the shape of the bushings on your lower control arms.
When omitting the frame stands, you will need to add a 1/8" plate under the bushing. This reinforces the frame flange and provides an even surface to support the top side of the bushing. This plate, and the bushing clamp will need a minor tweak to follow the frame as it rises up behind the bar. It is about a 20* bend, at most. I drilled the holes to match the frame clamp, then marked the bushing position centered between the holes, and folded the plate on one of those lines.
To position everything, begin by installing the bushings onto the bar, and mount the two bushings on top of the lower control arms, using the existing holes provided. To center the bar, after tightened these bushings, just wag the sway-bar up and down a few times. It will wiggle out any misalignment and you can verify that by looking at how much protrudes beyond the outer bushings.
Now just raise the bar up against the frame with the bushings installed. Leave the backing plates out for now. Push a bushing clamp over the bushing and line it up on the frame to mark the front hole. You want the hole about 1/2"-3/4" from the outside of the frame. This limits how much the frame flange can flex and should prevent any cracking with the backing plate in place. Remove the bushing clamp and drill the front hole, then bolt the clamp and backing plate into position, snug, but not tight. Align the plate with the other hole in the clamp, and drill the second hole. Use care not to wallow out the hole in the clamp. It has little material to spare. Repeat this procedure on the other side, install all the hardware and tighten it all up. You're done!
I used a split washer under the head of the bolt, and a flat washer under the locking nut. The bolt has enough shoulder that you need all the parts stacked to ensure you don't run out of thread.

The pics:
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Nice job...I need to do the same to my 82.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Tony @Texas square bodies?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Looks good, thanks for the write up.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea!! He is an awesome guy. I got my v/serpentine pulley setup from him. Does he still have that dropped white swb with the 5 inch pipes?

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
I dunno. He had a swb with pretty big turn-downs, owned since Highschool. Great guy!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yup that's the one... sounds bad ass!

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
You have the sway bar. You just need to get it done, you lazy bum.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Reloading photos...

HoustonRolie

Reaction score
First Name
Rolando
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
How does it drive?

First off, great write up and good pictures. Is there a noticeable difference in handling?

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
First off, great write up and good pictures. Is there a noticeable difference in handling?

Extremely noticeable! Ever truck should have a sway bar. If you want a lowered truck that behaves more like a car than a truck, you need a C30 sway bar.

FYI, some aftermarket offerings for C10 pickups are the same diameter as the C30...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strokedK15