Supercharging a 454 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Countrian

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Ive got a 1986 K30 dually 454/TH400 combo with 3.73s. It has 27,000 original miles. I was thinking of bolting on a supercharger for some easy power. I know ill need a new carb and some free flowing exhaust. What else should I look to upgrade? What are some carb suggestions? What are some suggestions on a distributor? Ive heard the engine will hold up well if I keep the boost around 5-6lbs. It has a 6" lift and im also looking to run 35" Toyo MT's.
You must be registered for see images attach

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You need an ignition box that will retard timing under boost. Are you looking at doing a single carb 177 set up? BYW you are driving my dream truck, freekin love that truck.

Countrian

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
You need an ignition box that will retard timing under boost. Are you looking at doing a single carb 177 set up? BYW you are driving my dream truck, freekin love that truck.

Now that im researching the ignition retarder, I think I might just go with a TBI conversion kit. As it has one built in and a lot easier to tune. Any big cons to the system? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to passenger vehicle engine modifications. So any and all information is helpful as I get more experience. I'm used to working on engines a smidge bigger than a 454...

You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah its a pretty sweet truck, I was looking for a 1969-75 Blazer when I ran across this truck. I couldnt pass it up!

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
What TBI system are you looking at? I have not ran one. I like the looks of the fast system though. I don't know if it retards timing under boost or not though. I have tossed the idea of doing a 177 on my 454 that I will be building after I am done with my current truck. I might be getting the holley projection kit some day for my truck to put on my 350. Only reason I am thinking of it instead of the fast kit is the holly has a 700CFM throttle body and I think the 900CFM fast kit is too large for my small block.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
That's sweet. I keep running and work on 2 80,000LB boilers at work and 17 ammonia compressors. Not quiet as large equipment but fun work. That engine is about the size of one of my boilers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising