stuck check valve in Holley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Hey guys,
I'm rebuilding an older Holley 1850-2 for my sq body and I can't get this pump booster check valve unstuck despite my best efforts. Its soaked in brakleen/carb cleaner for almost a week and I tried to blow compressed air best I could from it's backside. I don't have anything small enough to grab it with those detents in the photo. Anyone know any other cheap tricks I could try?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Custom made tool. Take a larger flat blade screw driver with a hex drive at the handle end. Grind or file the blade until it fits perfectly in the slots.

The carb needs to be held fast in some manner. Using a wrench on the hex drive of the screw driver, un-thread the check valve. Maintain down pressure on the screwdriver handle. Small amount of heat helps. Use a heat gun if there is any trace of fuel in the carb.

Should add, use quality type rust cutter at this time.

Last edited:

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Damn, that thing is filthy to begin! Needs a good soaking submerged in Chem-Dip for a few days then try the above mentioned method. Good luck, HOLLEYS RULE!!!!!:party52:

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Thanks Turbo, can't believe I didn't think of lighting it on fire ;). Butane torch + air compressor made it pop right out.
Heh yea it's filthy. I have a matching pair of them I bought for 40 bucks, this is just the one that was closer.
Thanks guys

Gene King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Thought I had this job buttoned up with that but white crap keeps getting onto my needle and jets :flame: