Steering Stabilizers - Singles vs. Duals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I see people online ask about steering stabilizers and no one really has a definitive answer to how or why they work. Also what is better single vs. dual and gas vs. hydraulic.

So which of you old bulls or young calves want to take a diplomatic crack at this so when someone Googles pros vs cons or just general info on steering stabilizers this forum comes up in the search.

Now with all that being said who is running what, why and how? Also what are the common misconceptions of the use of a steering stabilizer.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Well I think the most common misconception is that people think that getting a new stabilizer or switching to duals, will fix their loose steering problems. Which it won’t, it might tighten up the steering “feel” but it won’t fix the problem, it’ll minimize it or the sensation, and that might seem good. But good tight steering is vital, so just spend the money and fix what needs to be fixed.

If you want the steering to be tight, just get new components, they aren’t that expensive and almost anyone can do it at home.

Duals are only really “necessary” on vehicles with real big tires like 40’s and above. A lot people just do duals for looks most of the time, in my opinion. I’m running a single rancho stabilizer on 33’s, in the stock location

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
They work because "solid, live axle". All roads are not even side to side. Note they are not found in IFS trucks even though some are LIVE, they are not SOLID.

I used one Ranco RS5000 in the stock location (33x12.50R15 )and it made the ride much smoother and more predictable, especially at speed, because "live axle".

I had already replaced the shocks at the wheels before swapping the stabilizer and that made as big of a difference, if not greater, in ride quality and handling.

I prefer hydraulic because when it starts leaking, you can SEE it broke. No no puddle, it's good shape!

I am unaware of any "misconceptions".

Hope this helps!

Axles that transmit power are "live" while those which do not are known to be "dead".

That's all I have to say about that.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The way I see it a misconception are the kiddos that say "Oh a steering stabilizer will stop your "Death Wobble"."

I've heard it said time and time again in the Mall Crawler community. And from the guys that can't even change their own oil but know it all from what they have heard from others that spread "fake news".

I am a quoting fool tonight.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It all depends on the application. The purpose is to dampen the steering from bumps and minor vibrations. It's not just solid axle trucks that have used them. Many luxury type cars have used them too.

Generally, trucks with heavy wheel/tire combos or bias ply tires (or just a low quality radial) can benefit from a stabilizer or two. Trucks with lighter/rounder wheel and tire combos can get away with just a single stabilizer, or even none at all.

And I see no point in a gas stabilizer. Do those even exist? Lol, I seriously don't know. Gas shocks push themselves out, which wouldn't work as a stabilizer shock.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I know at least Bilstein makes gas charged steering stabilizers (5100 series). They say it reduces cavitation and foaming.
I looked at them, but didn't buy one.
Some say in reviews it creates steering pull.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
My 2 cents worth...

A single can make a difference in the feel and driveability but if you need duals to stabilize your vehicle then you probably have other issues you need to address.

Stewy

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
Back in the day, a lot of guys ran duels because most of the bigger tires were bias and, they weren't always round. :anitoof:

Today, it's almost the opposite. Radials rule the roads and are far greater in their street capabilities. As several others have already said, loose steering components have always been guilty, leading guys to run duels.

One last thing to mention, positive caster can also help with the way a truck drives with really big tires. Years ago, I worked in a front end alignment shop and we did quite a few alignments on Blazers, Broncos, P/U's... with large tires. The boss always made sure those rigs had more caster than the average 4wd. It helped them drive better.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You must be registered for see images attach
I put this on mine. Rough Country N2O dual set up

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
heres my thinking.

all straight axle trucks come from the factory with a steering stabilizer. why? because straight axles need them. I'm not a fan of the argument people make saying "that's what people do when they cant fix theyre truck the right way". its just not true...otherwise they wouldn't put them on vehicles from the start.

that being said...bigger tires creates more leverage on axles which in turn make the factory stabilizer no longer robust enough. which is why companies make aftermarket versions.

now THAT being said. people OFTEN think that if they throw on a stabilizer then there problems go away. and THAT is not true. in that case....other steering components and caster, ect should be checked, replaired, or replaced. but by no means was a stabilizer meant to solve all steering heartaches. but they are almost always needed....or at least nice to have.

sum it up. yes get one. but don't think its going to fix your clapped out front end. you will still need to fix anything else that is falling off the truck

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
If anyone is having death wobble on a GM front end then it's because stuff is worn out to the point of failure. It happens on leaf spring Jeeps easily because they have hangers on front of the axle and that contributes to side to side play when there are is too much movement and tire weight but on GM trucks since the hanger is on the rear it mostly just gets absorbed in road movement, meaning if you have that much side to side movement at the front of your leave spring, it's possible that a leave may be broken, or the front bushings are extremely worn out and should be replaced (or maybe a ubolt or two is loose).

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
DW happens on coil spring 4X4 Jeeps too. I just tightened the bolts on the centering bar (I forgot the real name) as tight as possible and have not had DW since. I don't think leaf spring vehicles have this bar.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
That's the track bar . Jeeps ,Dodge pu's and old Ford pu's all have or had this problem. In the old Fords you could replace the bushings on both ends with aftermarkets and usually cure the problem, except it being the Ford part.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Agree on ford part. Yeah. that's it track bar.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, IMO, stabilizers were mainly used because of bump steer on manual steering systems. Imagine hitting a square curb at an angle, the tire would grab the curb and jerk the steering wheel out of your hands. the stabilizer would minimize this jerk, same goes for the power steering systems but it wouldn't be as severe. stabilizers are for this reason only. again IMO.

Death wobble 95% of the time is because of warn parts, the other 5% is because the vehicle was lifted changing the steering geometry. the caster angle on our axles is somewhere between 6-8* negative to give a normal return to center (I'm sure there is a more engineering reason) but when lifted that angle will move forward i.e. say 6" lift will change it to a 5-7* caster angle. Now those that lift 10" or more should have the Cs cut and turned on the axle; 1. to change the pinion angle so you don't toast u-joints, and 2. they will add shims to correct the pinion angle and really messing up the caster angle.

the closer the caster angle is to 0* the worse the DW occurs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb