Steering Shudder - Low Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCHitman84

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Howdy folks! Had my '84 for a couple years now and have started to notice some shuddering / jerkiness when turning the wheels at low engine RPM. It's most prevalent at startup (leaving the driveway), but I notice it at the end of a trip on rare occasion. The initial thought was the pump going bad, but with it acting fine thru out a drive, the pump would appear working properly. I've read about adjusting the gearbox, but it looks like that is more for looseness / tightness in the steering itself. Maybe there's something within the box? Or maybe the rack n pinon is the issue? I haven't noticed any hang ups when turning the wheels with them off the ground.

Thoughts and ideas are much appreciated!

NCHitman84

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Was going to say "I know it's tight"... but looking at the belt more closely, it's clearly aged / cracked. Just because the NAPA labels are still clear as day, doesn't mean they are still good. I'll go ahead and change belts, see if that fixes what's happening. Thanks!

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
PS belts need to be very tight. Pumps on that model make it difficult to tighten without damaging pump body. There is an inexpensive tool made to do it. If it has AC and that belt goes over the PS pully need to tighten PS then AC.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Says it's for Cutlass but will work on most GM pumps. It hooks under the bracket on outside of pump. Usually can be done without this tool by catching a bolt head behind the pully with a flat bar.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Howdy folks! Had my '84 for a couple years now and have started to notice some shuddering / jerkiness when turning the wheels at low engine RPM. It's most prevalent at startup (leaving the driveway), but I notice it at the end of a trip on rare occasion. The initial thought was the pump going bad, but with it acting fine thru out a drive, the pump would appear working properly. I've read about adjusting the gearbox, but it looks like that is more for looseness / tightness in the steering itself. Maybe there's something within the box? Or maybe the rack n pinon is the issue? I haven't noticed any hang ups when turning the wheels with them off the ground.

Thoughts and ideas are much appreciated!
Your truck doesn't have a rack and pinion it has a recirculating ball steering box. Adjustment is more complicated than you maybe aware. I'm putting up a link so you can see how it's done. There is one last kink in this deal the box wears most in the straight ahead position so if you get it to tight it will bind when turned.

Last edited:

NCHitman84

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Your truck doesn't have a rack and pinion it has a recirculating ball steering box. Adjustment is more complicated than you maybe aware. I'm putting up a link so you can see how it's done. There is one last kink in this deal the box wears most in the straight ahead position so if you get it to tight it will bind when turned.
Hey Ricko! Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, should the need to adjust arise.

Thankfully, replacing the belts did the trick. Very simple, direct fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76