Starting Easier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i have an 83 k10 with a 350
350's got an edelbrock carb, mild cam, headers, and msd ignition

So, when i go to start it, i usually push all the way down on the gas real quick to get it to engage the choke. Then, i crank it and once it starts i have to get on the gas and keep the rpms around 2k for like 10 or 20 seconds for it to warm up enough to idle without being on the gas.

Is this how your trucks run? It gets tricky sometimes when its hot and you go to start it it wont wanna go for a minute if you do it wrong at first.
I live in New England so theres been a couple kinda cold days, a couple down to the 40's, and its been like this to start it. Even did this on real hot days in the summer.

Is there some way i can make it like a newer vehicle, where you turn the key and it starts up without like any input from the driver, so you dont have to step on the gas to start it or anything. Even if i just had to floor it real quick to close the choke that'd be fine.
Whatd you guys suggest? Thanks!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Go ls :) with a carb you'll always have to prime then start. If your choke and related linkage is functioning properly all should run without keeping a foot on it.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In a newer car, the computer is doing all the same stuff you're doing.

Try pushing the pedal to the floor several times, like three or four times, to get some gas in the manifold (prime the manifold), then starting it.

One issue with the choke is it will not engage, or not much, when it is warm out. So you get a lot of air through their right away, and no gas.

Mine takes three or four primes in the summer. In the winter when it's cold enough that the choke fully engages it's just one push and turn the key.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
look up the instructions for putting a carb kit in on your particular carb. Follow the calibration procedure to the letter. Edelbrock carbs are awesome, but notoriously out of tune right from the box. If you haven't picked up the tuning kit with various needles and springs, you should. It will make that thing work fantastic. Once you've dialed it in, you'll know that everything is right, and then adjusting the choke will actually go to plan. Remember to set the choke in the same temps you plan to use it. Ideally, on a cool day, you should find that a warm engine, idling nice and stable, will have the choke just barely in the fully open position. If you set this on too warm a day, your choke may not fully open on a cold day. Set it on a cold motor, and it may not close enough on a mild day.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
look up the instructions for putting a carb kit in on your particular carb. Follow the calibration procedure to the letter. Edelbrock carbs are awesome, but notoriously out of tune right from the box. If you haven't picked up the tuning kit with various needles and springs, you should. It will make that thing work fantastic. Once you've dialed it in, you'll know that everything is right, and then adjusting the choke will actually go to plan. Remember to set the choke in the same temps you plan to use it. Ideally, on a cool day, you should find that a warm engine, idling nice and stable, will have the choke just barely in the fully open position. If you set this on too warm a day, your choke may not fully open on a cold day. Set it on a cold motor, and it may not close enough on a mild day.

How do you go about adjusting the choke? Its an electric choke, so i thought itd just go when it got voltage?

and, as for the carb kit, how can i tell what edelbrock carb i have?

Last edited:

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
From the edelbrock carb manual (google: edelbrock carb manual):

The length of time during which the choke will stay closed is determined by the position of the choke cap. As the choke cap is turned clockwise the choke will stay closed longer. To properly set the choke loosen the chock housing retaining screws then turn the choke cap to the leanest notch on the choke housing and run the engine until normal operating temperature is reached. With the engine running, slowly turn the choke cap clockwise until the choke valve begins to close. Now turn the choke housing one notch counterclockwise (lean) and tighten the choke housing retaining screws. Periodic readjustment of the choke will be required as the temperature changes throughout the year. It is recommended that you use the notches in the choke
housing as a reference, one notch clockwise for rich or one notch counterclockwise for lean. After each adjustment verify that the choke valve opens fully after the engine is warm.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Pull the cap off and look at the spring. As it warms up by voltage, it uncoils and pulls on the lever to open the choke. You adjust it by loosening the screws and rotating the cup to set a static position at the current temp (with the key off and engine cold). Pay attention to the little crook at the end of the spring and which side of it the lever tang is on. Put it together wrong and it won't function at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe