Starting different when warm??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Its a 86 K5 with a tbi 7.4L converted to carb. The truck starts great first thing and runs good. After driving for a while and parking it. It starts but doesn't fire up like it should. I turn the key and it starts pretty mellow, sometimes the starter sounds like your turning the key when its already on. Hopefully that makes sense. Any ideas on where to start trouble shooting? I recently moved the fuel pump but its done it every since I bought the truck earlier this year.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I turn the key and it starts pretty mellow, sometimes the starter sounds like your turning the key when its already on.

This to me sounds like a contradiction. A starter grinding a flywheel doesn't sound very "mellow" to me. Or is this two separate problems?

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Okay let me rephrase that. It starts quick but doesn't fire up. So the starter grinds the flywheel because I have the key turned still.. Sorry Bucket hope that's better. When I expect it start like that I give it a little gas and revs right up.. Is that better?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So if you give it a little gas it starts right up? If that's the case, it's normal for a vehicle with a carb.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So if you give it a little gas it starts right up? If that's the case, it's normal for a vehicle with a carb.
x2 just right

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thanks you guys. I'm new and trying to learn with this carb motor. I'm running a carter electric fuel pump. Napa sells it and said it puts out 7psi. So I'm running two inline fuel filters because I was told to run my engine at 6psi. No regulator, I figured the 2 filter would bring the psi some.

mtnbiker727

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4BBL
Okay let me rephrase that. It starts quick but doesn't fire up. So the starter grinds the flywheel because I have the key turned still.. Sorry Bucket hope that's better. When I expect it start like that I give it a little gas and revs right up.. Is that better?

I've been wondering about that too.. I'm expecting it to be a slow start so I hold the key in, but it starts up quickly and quietly, and before I know it I hear the high pitched squeal!!!! It makes me cringe and everyone nearby turns their heads to look. But then they see that it's a 20-something driving an old truck, so ..... whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy