Square body being towed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I didn't see this mentioned, so I'll just add this. Full trailer with brakes is always preferred. Dolly would be next preferred as long as it is rated for the load and preferably has brakes also. Last would be flat tow.

The biggest concern for flat or dolly towing a K truck is what transfer case you have followed by what transmission.

NP203
1. Automatic Transmission: Transfer case in "N", Transmission in "P", no need to disconnect rear driveshaft. The NP203 has the oil pump on the rear output shaft and as long as the rear driveshaft is turning the transfer case is getting lubed. The transmission oil pump is on the transmission input, so if the output is being spun without the engine running you will burn up the transmission.
1 Manual Transmission: Transfer case in "N", Transmission in "N", same as above for driveshaft. T-case consideration is the same, but manual transmissions are splash lubricated by gear oil and don't have a pump tied to the input, so they won't burn up if spun by the output.

NP205
Same shifter positions as above for both transmission types. The NP205 does not have an oil pump and is splash lubricated by oil in the case whenever the transfer case is being spun.

NP208/NP231/NP241(basically ALL aluminum case transfer cases in a square)
Disconnect the driveshaft in all situations where the rear tires will be spinning!!!
The 208/231/241 family have the oil pump on the input of the transfer case. If the rear shaft is spinning and transmission is in park, no oil is being pumped and the t-case will burn up.
This should be a sticky somewhere.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I didn't see this mentioned, so I'll just add this. Full trailer with brakes is always preferred. Dolly would be next preferred as long as it is rated for the load and preferably has brakes also. Last would be flat tow.

The biggest concern for flat or dolly towing a K truck is what transfer case you have followed by what transmission.

NP203
1. Automatic Transmission: Transfer case in "N", Transmission in "P", no need to disconnect rear driveshaft. The NP203 has the oil pump on the rear output shaft and as long as the rear driveshaft is turning the transfer case is getting lubed. The transmission oil pump is on the transmission input, so if the output is being spun without the engine running you will burn up the transmission.
1 Manual Transmission: Transfer case in "N", Transmission in "N", same as above for driveshaft. T-case consideration is the same, but manual transmissions are splash lubricated by gear oil and don't have a pump tied to the input, so they won't burn up if spun by the output.

NP205
Same shifter positions as above for both transmission types. The NP205 does not have an oil pump and is splash lubricated by oil in the case whenever the transfer case is being spun.

NP208/NP231/NP241(basically ALL aluminum case transfer cases in a square)
Disconnect the driveshaft in all situations where the rear tires will be spinning!!!
The 208/231/241 family have the oil pump on the input of the transfer case. If the rear shaft is spinning and transmission is in park, no oil is being pumped and the t-case will burn up.
This is very good advice the one thing I'd like to give further explanation on is "Automatic Transmission: Transfer case in "N", Transmission in "P"" For many years I couldn't understand why the transmission should be in "P", I reasoned that maybe "N" was better incase the T-case slipped back into gear. No that's the wrong way of thinking, the concern is especially on a highway tow that the force of fluid and inertia effect could get the output of the transmission shaft turning and cause tranny damage.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
This is very good advice the one thing I'd like to give further explanation on is "Automatic Transmission: Transfer case in "N", Transmission in "P"" For many years I couldn't understand why the transmission should be in "P", I reasoned that maybe "N" was better incase the T-case slipped back into gear. No that's the wrong way of thinking, the concern is especially on a highway tow that the force of fluid and inertia effect could get the output of the transmission shaft turning and cause tranny damage.
Absolutely right. Especially with something like the 205 where it has 80-90 in it and the input definitely wants to try and spin, even when the transfer case is in "N". You don't want to give any part of the transmission a chance to spin without pressurized oil on the bushings. It is the equivalent of cranking the starter over on your engine, potentially for hours, without the distributor being installed to make the oil pump turn. It will very quickly gall the bushings, weld the shafts to them, and destroy the transmission.

Here's a fun one where someone flat towed their brand new jeep behind their RV in first gear and 4-lo. At 60mph they spun the engine up to 54,000rpm and grenaded the entire engine.
https://www.carscoops.com/2021/03/j...ing-towed-in-4-low-revving-to-over-50000-rpm/

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Absolutely right. Especially with something like the 205 where it has 80-90 in it and the input definitely wants to try and spin, even when the transfer case is in "N". You don't want to give any part of the transmission a chance to spin without pressurized oil on the bushings. It is the equivalent of cranking the starter over on your engine, potentially for hours, without the distributor being installed to make the oil pump turn. It will very quickly gall the bushings, weld the shafts to them, and destroy the transmission.

Here's a fun one where someone flat towed their brand new jeep behind their RV in first gear and 4-lo. At 60mph they spun the engine up to 54,000rpm and grenaded the entire engine.
https://www.carscoops.com/2021/03/j...ing-towed-in-4-low-revving-to-over-50000-rpm/
My buddy's wife destroyed his Suzuki Sidekick droving it back from town, a one hour drive, in low gear. She said it sounded louder than she remembered. He was out in his yard when he heard this whining sound coming up the highway. He sees his his Sidekick coming with a cloud of smoke behind it. Somehow these people are still together.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
looks like everythings has been covered.

i flat tow A LOT.

i flat tow my 1985 k20 super double xtra heavy duty with my dodge

i flat tow my 2005 dodge hemi quad cab 4x4 with my chevy
i flat tow the above with the motorhome.

both trucks, transfer case in neutral.
chevy gets 2nd gear (1) (sm465)
dodge gets PARK

key on, battery disconnect.

off i go.

i like flat tow :)

i will reiterate that a heavy flat tow will push around a light tow vehicle.
just the nature of flat towing.

good luck,
'monkey

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I hired a trucking company to move my 78 4x4 and my 74 K5. I moved from Carolina to AZ and it cost about $900.00 to do. There was no way I would trust the bearings in either truck to roll that far so having someone pick them up and take care of everything was a real luxury. Took about 3 days and they arrived here without a scratch. email [email protected] 754-367-8220

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

My buddy's wife destroyed his Suzuki Sidekick droving it back from town, a one hour drive, in low gear. She said it sounded louder than she remembered. He was out in his yard when he heard this whining sound coming up the highway. He sees his his Sidekick coming with a cloud of smoke behind it. Somehow these people are still together.
I have a friend that did this to.... I think it was a Subaru, but it might have been another small SUV with a manual. Doesn't really matter it was brand new less than 10K on the clock they headed out with it behind the RV in 1st gear. They couldn't figure out why the RV didn't seem to have it's normal power. They would go down the road like this until the motor in the little SUV blew and locked the tires up. Their insurance company picked up the tab.... Mistakes even very stupid mistakes are sometimes made by smart people who don't think to double check.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
^And lie to Uhaul about the size of car
Tell them the toad is little car, make one up. That way you won’t get hassled about the size of the toad or the size of the tow rig.
They have rules, need xx vehicle to tow xx vehicle.
that's what I've always done. I don't care what I'm actually towing, it's always a Corolla, or a Datsun, or a Civic, etc... They see the vehicle you pull up in, but they can't see you when you're actually towing nowhere their shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg