Speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frwgt350net

Reaction score
First Name
frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My speedometer just out of the blue quit a few weeks back, I replaced what appeared to be a damaged cable, but no luck I’m pretty certain the meter is fine, but what the heck is this thing how can I test it or where can I get a new one.
You must be registered for see images attach

My speedometer just out of the blue quit a few weeks back, I replaced what appeared to be a damaged cable, but no luck I’m pretty certain the meter is fine, but what the heck is this thing how can I test it or where can I get a new one.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Its an adapter to adjust the speedometer for various tire sizes and rear end ratios. You can just remove it and either spin one side and observe the other moving, or just remove it, hook up the cable and go for a drive. If it suddenly works, that was your problem. Did your truck have cruise control? Did the other end of the cable go to a module on the fender? Mine did, and the module was the issue. I had to get a non-cruise cable and bypass the module on the fender to get my speedo to read right and not break the cable.

frwgt350net

Reaction score
First Name
frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The truck does not have cruise control and no there's no module, the other end goes directly into the dash and into the speedometer.

So I can just remove it and what hook the cable directly into the transfer case. I'll try that in the morning.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I replaced my cable recently because it was damaged and making the speedo dance around. On my first test run it didn't work, checked it again and found l didn't have the inner cable properly engaged in the rear of the speedo. All good now!

frwgt350net

Reaction score
First Name
frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So it seems the cable end got all twisted up and snapped off, its odd it would do that all of a sudden but seems to be an easy fix. Sense this is only a ranch truck and run around town truck I think I'll just leave that adapter off for now. Don't drive fast any more anyways, rather be safe. Thanks for all the kind invites.

Correction: Thank you for pointing that out.
It was not the cable that broke at the end but in fact that adapter broke off the piece.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So it seems the cable end got all twisted up and snapped off, seems odd it would do that all of a sudden but seems to be an easy fix. Sense this is only a ranch truck and run around town truck I think I'll just leave that adapter off for now. Don't drive fast any more anyways, rather be safe. Thanks for all the kind invites.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
"Seems odd it would do that all of a sudden.

Lol..Damn thing has been working for forty odd years and somehow it's "all of a sudden"?

frwgt350net

Reaction score
First Name
frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Exactly 'all of sudden'. The tires and wheels been turning for forty years also, the steering wheel has been turning for forty years, the mirrors been there for forty years, doors been opening and closing for forty years, the horn the radio the glove compartment the radio on and on they all been working fine for forty years no problem in fact everything on the truck including the A\C work fine so it struck me odd that 'all of a sudden the speedo adapter gets bound up and breaks, seems like a logical conclusion to make and state.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
well, something bound somewhere and that was the weakest link for some reason.... the speedo cables usually have a plastic piece on them that is designed to snap first. I would keep that adapter, they make them in all different ratio's and if it was reading correctly before, you will need to replace it at some point with the correct ratio one. There are people that have buckets of them, they don't tend t fail very often. If you clean all the grunge off it, you should be able to see the ratio stamped on it somewhere.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
It has just started, the problems will only get worse. It is time to sell that lemon(to me) cheap and buy a new truck.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
"Seems odd it would do that all of a sudden.

Lol..Damn thing has been working for forty odd years and somehow it's "all of a sudden"?
Well, by definition, yes. IF it didnt do it right before and then suddenly happened.. yes.
But it was probably wearing out, slighlty inacurrate, etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1