Speedometer doesn't work at all. Where to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It looks like you have a ratio adapter on your tc. That's why your Speedo is correct.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
FYI - I've found that Autozone listed two different speedometer cables for my truck. The wrong one has a female threaded fitting on the speedometer end and it although you can get it to fit, the retainer just pushes up against the outside of the fitting. It is not a tight fit.

The correct cable has a flared metal fitting/ferrule on the end. When properly seated, the flared fitting snaps in firmly behind a metal retainer on the back of the speedometer and that keeps it fully engaged.

Bruce

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
It looks like you have a ratio adapter on your tc. That's why your Speedo is correct.
Are you referring to my truck? There's been others chiming in regarding their trucks

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are you referring to my truck? There's been others chiming in regarding their trucks

Yes, it looks like you might have a ratio adapter. I have one on my transfer case, and it corrected my speedometer error.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Yes, it looks like you might have a ratio adapter. I have one on my transfer case, and it corrected my speedometer error.
That explains how it is still accurate. I've verified it with GPS and radar speed signs. Glad to hear it!

Kenneth PAngle

Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Will be checking all of these as mine does not work as well!!

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Try to get a quality cable...I tried pioneer, atp and omix adar. They all suck. No matter what I did I always had a jumping speedo needle. Tried an original from a friends truck: no bouncing. Next will be ac delco which is 4 times the price of the other cables or oer.
I bought one from this guy. He’s A+ Better quality cable than ANYTHING you can buy online or at your local auto parts store. I broke my original, bought two different cables(1- online & 1- Oh Really’s) they were totally garbage. Jumping clicking was all I got.
He completely rebuilt my speedo ($95) and sent the correct ratio adaptor to correct speed readings per tire size.
Note:
This guy is old school. Built and sent w/invoice to be paid when I got the parts! Not someone you run into often these days.)

Rusty: [email protected]
Speedometer Repair Services
449 E Kiowa St, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80903, United States

(719) 632-3165

75 short

Reaction score
First Name
warren
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
mine quite working the magnet forse in speedo was bad in the head had to replace speedo found a good one on e bay

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg