Speedo "Whrring"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
I live in the northeast U.S. Now that its starting to cool off, my 83 k10's speedo will make a whirring sound on the cold mornings, where around 35-40+ it sounds really noisy and makes a loud whirring sound, with my speedo needle bouncing up 10-20 mph faster than im actually going.

PO had this problem, replaced speedo cable, still had the problem, so they disconnected it. I had a mechanic friend say i just needed to lube up the cable end that goes into the speedo, another says i need a new speedo. Any ideas?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Check the routing of the cable. Look for sharp bends and or twisted sections.

But if the cable has been replaced recently - and there are no kinks/bends in the way it is routed - than the problem is most likely in the speedometer head itself.

As an initial test, disconnect the cable from the head and test drive. If the sound is no longer present, the problem is in the speedometer head and not anywhere in the drive.

You can try lubricating the speedometer head internals. With the cluster released and facing down, add a few drops of light machine oil (3 In 1 oil) into the connection point for the cable. Flip the cluster back up to the vertical position quickly. Use just a bit of oil, too much will end up all over the inside of your cluster.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok, thanks!
PO rplaced speedo cable, so its not that... i might just end up replacing the speedometer.

And, will a gauge cluster for a manual transmission truck fit mine with the 700r4? I have a new shift indicator for my truck, which is what the manual gauge clusters only difference is i believe.

Can i do that? Have a friend with a manual one for cheap

Thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah it will fit. All clusters mount the same and the speedometer head end of the cable is standard. Just install your new gear position indicator in the manual cluster and you'll be GTG (good to go).

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85