somehwat new here with 82 SWB survivor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Bought my 82 Custom Deluxe SWB in early 2014. It has a 250 six with 3-speed manual trans. The only factory option is power steering, if that was in fact an option. The only previous owner mods are rally wheels and an aftermarket radio, which probably dates back to the 80s but still works.

Tried to save the 3-on-the-tree. Spent a month working on the column, but could only find a few of the parts it needed. Ended up using shim stock to reduce wobble in the "shift bowl" and the bowl that holds the key mechanism. Found some bronze bushings that worked on the levers/rods at the bottom of the column. Actually used the outside edge of a hard plastic cap as a bushing!

The shift mechanism works much better than before, but a major (and unavailable) cast aluminum part had cracked and been epoxied by a previous owner. It may last for 10 years, but I don't want to chance it. Also, the 3-speed trans definitely needs some new internal parts.

So I caved-in and now have a fresh 355 and TH350 just about ready to go in the truck. Should be a good match for the 2.73 axle. Yes, 2.73 with a 250 six from the factory!

While I'm here, I have a question. I just tried to do a search, but before it will run, I have to type several letters that are read to me over background music. Guys, I've listened several times, and simply can't make out all the letters. Can the administrator pick a voice and background music combination that makes the letters easy to understand? While my hearing isn't what it used to be, it is NOT the reason I can't make out the letters.

Last edited:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome: from N.E.
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy!

I'm not too surprised about the 2.73 gears, my 305 truck came with 2.56 gears and I'd bet it hardly made any more torque compared to the 250.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Howdy!

I'm not too surprised about the 2.73 gears, my 305 truck came with 2.56 gears and I'd bet it hardly made any more torque compared to the 250.

So, my 355 with 2.73 axle will be like the high performance option GM didn't offer!

Heads are GM Vortecs, and the roller cam is the one used in HT383 and Ramjet crate engines. My goal is tons of torque and decent horsepower.

Several years ago I had an 81 C-10 with a 305 and 2.56 axle. Whenever the TH350C T/C locked up, the truck shuddered. Went the switch route, but had some other issues, so eventually disabled the lock-up. After that the truck was MUCH nicer to drive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26