Smog Regulations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mason Lawley

Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Is there a website of sorts that will tell what each state's smog requirements are?

Unfortunately, my C20 is gonna be registered in California and I am curious what the requirements are. I've ordered all the parts for a proper tune-up, but I'm not sure about whether to pull the trigger on headers, intake manifold, etc.

And I've also seen a lot of debate on the "charcoal canisters" for ventilation/filtration. What's anyone's take on deleting those?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
It will need the equipment it came with from the factory. There are two standards, "49 State compliant" or "49 State Plus California". Your under-hood emissions sticker (probably long gone) determines which it is. There's no way to look it up online, way too many variables, so your only option is to contact the California Air Resources Board in the area you move to and they will tell you what it needs. Regarding the charcoal canister, all vehicles came with them and they are required in order to pass emissions testing.

If your truck has been gutted/modified to a large degree, be prepared to spend some serious money on it bringing it back into compliance. In some cases, it makes more sense to leave yours behind and buy one that's already compliant in California.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It will need the equipment it came with from the factory. There are two standards, "49 State compliant" or "49 State PLUS California". Your under-hood emissions sticker (probably long gone) determines which it is. There's no way to look it up online, way to many variables, so your only option is to contact the California Air Resources Board in the area you move to and they will tell you what it needs. Regarding the charcoal canister, all vehicles came with them from GM and they are required in order to pass emissions testing.

If your truck has been gutted/modified to a large degree, be prepared to spend some serious money on it bringing it back into compliance. In some cases, it makes more sense to leave yours behind and buy one that's already compliant in California.

That is not necessarily true. My 1980 K25 with federal emissions had no EGR, No air pump, and no charcoal canister from the factory. It was the 8600 GVW option and therefore was heavy duty emissions and didn't have any of that smog junk.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Is there a website of sorts that will tell what each state's smog requirements are?

Unfortunately, my C20 is gonna be registered in California and I am curious what the requirements are. I've ordered all the parts for a proper tune-up, but I'm not sure about whether to pull the trigger on headers, intake manifold, etc.

And I've also seen a lot of debate on the "charcoal canisters" for ventilation/filtration. What's anyone's take on deleting those?

First of all... do you have the SPID label in the glovebox still? Is the emissions tag still on the air cleaner or core support? PICS!!!!??!?!?!?!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
That is not necessarily true. My 1980 K25 with federal emissions had no EGR, No air pump, and no charcoal canister from the factory. It was the 8600 GVW option and therefore was heavy duty emissions and didn't have any of that smog junk.

I guess it's possible yours didn't have a charcoal canister originally. It's also possible that many were removed before the current owners ever saw the vehicle. I'm writing from memory and it's been forty years since I worked as a Cali smog tech, but I don't recall testing any that didn't have a charcoal canister. Those were kind of a given, like pcv systems, everybody had one. But that points right back to my statement that there are so many variables that you have to consult the CARB. They have the final say, not a bunch of guys on the internet.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Contact a smog referee, they can give you the specs for your truck. Unfortunately, in California, if you don't have proof it was a Federal truck to begin with, they will make you meet California equipment requirements. There is very little you can modify unless the part has an EO Number or it is a direct replacement part. Removal of anything that came with the truck is not allowed.

There are some legal headers and intakes. I had an issue with my last truck, a '79 K15. The intake warped and would not pass smog. I was able to add a Performer intake instead, but it had to be the EGR model. The intake did not have an EO Number, but had the same provisions for OEM equipment so it was allowed.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Referee_Program/

FYI here's all the crap on mine and it's an HD emissions truck that originally ran on leaded fuel!

You must be registered for see images attach

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
acord

according to the 78 options manual for a 350 in a c20 see here and download for specs https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1978-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf see pages 165-167.

california emissions PCV positive crankcase ventilation, ECS evap canister ,TRC throttle return control, CHA carbureted heated air (hot air off the exhaust heat stove), AIR air injection reaction smog pump.

if its federal emissions PVC, CCS basically gm jargon for carb calibration timing and CHA carbureted heated air heated air cleaner,

My 2 cents charcoal canisters dont hurt your performance keep it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli