small block to big block radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
When I replaced the 3 row radiator on my '75 K25 I used one of these Champion 17" tall 3 row radiators, purchased from Jegs. https://www.championradiators.com/Chevy-truck-radiator-1973-1987

I replaced my radiator in about July as part of an engine heads and cam upgrade, and when I got done I needed to recharge the A/C. I had the truck running at idle with the A/C on for over an hour and it never got above 195 degrees with this radiator. I'm running a 195 degree thermostat, stock shroud and fan, and a severe duty thermal fan clutch. Since I was replacing stock 4 row with aluminum 3 row I didn't have to change any brackets or rubber pads.

Bruce

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
02 Crown Vic the radiator is for a big block 67 Chevelle

Nice, I am going to be using the Spectra OEM replacement for the LS trucks and I have not settled on the shroud yet. probably the OEM with an extension piece, depending on where it lines up with the fan. In the long run though I am probably going to swap to an Electric dual fan setup, using either the older Taurus shroud and fan assembly or just bend some Aluminum up and make my own. I recently got access to a shop full of tools that are going to allow me to do a **** ton more custom stuff, lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nice, I am going to be using the Spectra OEM replacement for the LS trucks and I have not settled on the shroud yet. probably the OEM with an extension piece, depending on where it lines up with the fan. In the long run though I am probably going to swap to an Electric dual fan setup, using either the older Taurus shroud and fan assembly or just bend some Aluminum up and make my own. I recently got access to a shop full of tools that are going to allow me to do a **** ton more custom stuff, lol

If going with the newer radiator, dual fans would be easy. Starting in like '04 or '05, the trucks started getting dual electric fans in place of the mechanical fan.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
If going with the newer radiator, dual fans would be easy. Starting in like '04 or '05, the trucks started getting dual electric fans in place of the mechanical fan.

Yeah but they seem to think the new fans are made of platinum or gold for some reason. Wrecking yard is pretty affordable to me, plus you can get the relays and harness and just wire it in like an OEM piece.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yeah but they seem to think the new fans are made of platinum or gold for some reason. Wrecking yard is pretty affordable to me, plus you can get the relays and harness and just wire it in like an OEM piece.
Look for Volvo fan controllers. They are nice and simple. That’s what I’m using and a BMW temp switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg