Siphoning tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sorry, I got busy and haven't been back.

I used an electric fuel pump and drained 2-3 gallons from the left tank. It was pretty clear with no sediment or particles. I put a gallon of fresh fuel in, connected the truck's fuel pump to an external 1-gallon can and drove it around for a while.

I emptied it again and got a 1 gallon of clean fuel. So I feel confident that the tanks are good. I'll do the right next, but the gauge shows it has 3/4 tank and I need to find a place to store the fuel until I can recycle it.

Huge thank yous to everyone that replied! I can't wait to keep working on my K25 and getting help with the awesome people here.

John

IMO, once you get it relatively sorted out, if you're still not driving it regularly, IE using tanks of gas, at a minimum stabilize some fresh fuel in the tank(s), better yet put in non ethanol, even better, put 100LL (av gas) in it.
Our 86 has been sitting since last fall. Only gets started to move in and out of the shop. After I repaired the fuel system, I dumped a jug of AV gas with a little 2smoke oil in each tank. Instant oil coating and got 2 years before the gas even starts to go bad.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
IMO, once you get it relatively sorted out, if you're still not driving it regularly, IE using tanks of gas, at a minimum stabilize some fresh fuel in the tank(s), better yet put in non ethanol, even better, put 100LL (av gas) in it.
Our 86 has been sitting since last fall. Only gets started to move in and out of the shop. After I repaired the fuel system, I dumped a jug of AV gas with a little 2smoke oil in each tank. Instant oil coating and got 2 years before the gas even starts to go bad.

100LL is great stuff. Expensive, but great, as long as you don't have catalytic converter(s).

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Yeah, no cats allowed for sure.
Around here with fuel prices and $.60 road tax, 100LL is about on par or max, up to .$50-.75 more than non ethanol premium only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK