Silencing electric fuel pumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Has anyone ever put some sound deadening/dampening material on their gas tanks? I was wondering if a small chunk of dynamat on the top of the tank would reduce some of the fuel pump whine. I'm in the middle of my frame off build & noticed how loud they are while the truck is idling, I suppose once the the bed is on it will possibly hide some of the noise.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Isn’t that the truth!

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
I'll show my ignorance here, I don't have experience on truck tanks, but if it has straps, are the insulators on and installed properly? If they are direct mounted, is there an insulator there? I'd think some dynamat or similar would help, maybe on the underside of the bed instead or as well? On the bed would give and added benefit of absorbing some general road noise and "tinniness" that might be there otherwise. I'd also be looking at the lines and make sure they aren't passing vibration to other areas, i.e. make sure you have flex line to absorb the vibrations before you anchor to the frame rail.

Just curious, what kind of pump and how much HP are you making?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
On my Jeep Cherokee there is a ballast resistor to quiet it down. It gets full voltage for startup and then the current runs through the resistor. I have had to hard wire it to diagnose an issue with the fuel pump, and it is louder without the current going through the resistor. May be an option, but you'd need to wire it correctly with relay(s).

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I'll show my ignorance here, I don't have experience on truck tanks, but if it has straps, are the insulators on and installed properly? If they are direct mounted, is there an insulator there? I'd think some dynamat or similar would help, maybe on the underside of the bed instead or as well? On the bed would give and added benefit of absorbing some general road noise and "tinniness" that might be there otherwise. I'd also be looking at the lines and make sure they aren't passing vibration to other areas, i.e. make sure you have flex line to absorb the vibrations before you anchor to the frame rail.

Just curious, what kind of pump and how much HP are you making?
Thanks for the ideas.

They're both standard 66 PSI submersible pumps (one in each tank), stock replacement pumps for a '98 K-1500. I'm only running a stock rebuilt Vortec 350 which was rated for 230 HP @ 4500 RPM in 1998 when it was the standard truck motor.

Brand new saddle bag tanks & brand new strap insulators. There is some flex line between the sending unit and the switch valve and the lines from the valve up to the engine are all flexible Earl's Vaporguard lines.

I do plan to spray the bottom of the bed with Raptor Liner bedliner which should add a small amount of dampening to help with tinniness.
On my Jeep Cherokee there is a ballast resistor to quiet it down. It gets full voltage for startup and then the current runs through the resistor. I have had to hard wire it to diagnose an issue with the fuel pump, and it is louder without the current going through the resistor. May be an option, but you'd need to wire it correctly with relay(s).
Interesting... I'll read up on this. Thanks.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
That's why I was asking about pump and HP. You could run it at reduced voltage until you get to a certain load point or pressure or something and then it kicks to full voltage. Basically the same idea as a Boost-a-Pump, but in reverse.

Sounds like you have done the right stuff so far, I'm guessing with the bed on it should be a lot less noticeable.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I've had 5 different pumps in my truck and they all are somewhat loud. You can definitely hear it when you first turn the key but once the truck is fired up, you can just barely hear it unless I've run the tank super low. Then it gets real loud. I don't think there's really any way around it.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I've had 5 different pumps in my truck and they all are somewhat loud. You can definitely hear it when you first turn the key but once the truck is fired up, you can just barely hear it unless I've run the tank super low. Then it gets real loud. I don't think there's really any way around it.

Maybe that's my problem... There's only a few gallons of gas in each tank so I could test the system and get the engine started.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Maybe that's my problem... There's only a few gallons of gas in each tank so I could test the system and get the engine started.
Yep, more fuel definitely helps quieten it down

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I run pwm controller that is referenced by map sensor on one of the vehicles to get pump to lower output at low load.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
EP381 pumps in my tanks. Silent. All new factory setup.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Not great suggestions, but run either straight pipes for the exhaust or install a loud stereo.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L

Attachments

• _DSC3142.jpg