Should i put an clutch fan on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Well ive run into an issue. The fan i have is built for short bolts and nuts, my straight blade fan is put on with long bolts only.

any ideas on how to convert this setup?

Not really sure what you mean but here is a little known fact:

On an OEM water pump, the holes in the driven flange of the coupling are tapped for 5/16"- 24 NF. The first time the fan hub comes off the water pump flange, I re-install it using four bolts screwed in from the front. I believe the correct size is 5/16" - 24 X 1".

Any shorter and there may not be enough thread engagement (especially if using lock washers) and if they are any longer, the bolts are unable to be tilted into the space between the back of the clutch and the hub for assembly.

See these images - I am not explaining this well and they might help:

You must be registered for see images attach

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
i generally think you should switch, but you have to make the the shroud is right for it---that it actually fits in the shroud diameter-wise, but also that it is positioned properly in the shroud----not too far in and not too far out--should be half in/half out.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
i have an unrelated question:

Does the fan have anything to do with A/C operation?

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Does the fan have anything to do with A/C operation?

Before A/C became standard on just about every new vehicle known to mankind, larger radiators, HD fan clutches, and fans with more pitch were used to remove heat from coolant in the radiator AND refrigerant in the condenser.

If you're not pulling enough air through the condenser at idle, the A/C system won't blow as cold.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Before A/C became standard on just about every new vehicle known to mankind, larger radiators, HD fan clutches, and fans with more pitch were used to remove heat from coolant in the radiator AND refrigerant in the condenser.

If you're not pulling enough air through the condenser at idle, the A/C system won't blow as cold.

So is there anything connected to the fan clutch that would make it engage if you turn the A/C on? Or does it not need it?

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So is there anything connected to the fan clutch that would make it engage if you turn the A/C on? Or does it not need it?

Not unless there are some viscous fan clutch setups that are somehow electrically controlled.

On a typical fan clutch, the amount of clutch engagement is controlled by temperature of the air drawn through the radiator and condenser. When the A/C compressor engages, that air will get hotter, which will further engage the clutch once the bi-metal spring responds.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not unless there are some viscous fan clutch setups that are somehow electrically controlled.

On a typical fan clutch, the amount of clutch engagement is controlled by temperature of the air drawn through the radiator and condenser. When the A/C compressor engages, that air will get hotter, which will further engage the clutch once the bi-metal spring responds.

They exist ... but generally only found on MUCH newer vehicles.
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub