Short to ground?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farrartruck

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
V8, 350
Hi,
I recently rebuilt the throttle body on my 87 R10. It was my grandfather's truck that my grandmother sold me a few years after he died. After rebuilding the throttle body it ran and drove great. Battery was dead when I first bought the truck (it had been sitting for a year and a half). Battery was replaced, I tested for a parasitic load, and the it was only pulling about 16mA when turned off. I left the battery hooked up over night after the throttle body rebuild and the next morning nothing worked but the dome lights. Tried jumping the truck off and nothing happened. Battery was reading about 12.55 V on my meter, so pretty close to a full charge. Went and got it charged anyways and tried it again yesterday, upon trying to start the truck, the radio and all electronics blinked to life, but before it could turn over it all died again and my battery (which was at 12.7V after charging) dropped immediately to 12.66V. Battery seems good to me every time I measure it, and it seems like a short to ground somewhere. The weird thing is that there are no blown fuses. Anyone have any ideas on where to start trouble shooting? Or any good literature for schematics? Pic for attention.

Attachments

• IMG_5502.jpg
    IMG_5502.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 70

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Grounds, clean the grounds, all of them. With things turning off and coming back sounds like a dirty ground.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Yep, grounds and also look at the ignition switch wiring.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've also seen where corrosion will build up in the side post. The bolt will still make good contact with the battery but the cable not so much. You might check that, and then hit the grounds.

farrartruck

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
V8, 350
I tried cleaning the grounds and battery terminals and no results. I'm going to give that ignition starter switch a try next. Seems to be the most likely culprit because headlights and dome lights work, and to my knowledge everything else (except the dash clock) are activated by that switch. I appreciate all the help

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
FYI - ignition switch on/off power wiring runs to a switch on the lower column and that is where the electrical is switched. The key switch just turns a toothed metal “rack” and that pulls/pushes a rod running down the column. The rod is connected to the electrical switch.

The point of my explanation is that you might have a broken ignition rack at the key (very cheap part, PIA to replace) that is not moving the rod properly, or the switch mounted on the lower column might be out of adjustment.
This is an example of what the rack looks like.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
There was that one dude that broke his new truck switching LED bulbs. I'm pretty certain the DOME LIGHT was the culprit - outside of LED bulbs lmao :rolleyes:
Might wanna check with that guy.
I get you havent caused problems with modern tech in a classic truck , but he WAS having dome light problems that kilt his batrey.
:waytogo:

Hay. U member that one guy?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Clean your positive lead at the starter make sure the main battery ground is to the block or cylinder head.Short the solenoid at the starter that will tell us a lot. Short big terminal to little terminal with a screwdriver I use a quarter but everyone else use a screwdriver. If it cranks when you short it,that rules out starter,battery,and cables. A short to ground would result in a burnt fuse, a burnt wire or a burnt fusible link. I just reread your original post sure sounds like a dirty connection to me.

Last edited:

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Lol I keep falling into this old freaking thread trap. Sorry
You start reading a bunch and before you know it you're 40 pages into the section on a thread from 3 years ago. Happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed82k20