Short little tutorial on porting for hydro assist.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
So when do you get to install it on your truck and try it out?
It'll be a little while, I still need to put the front drag link in and all lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Not to mention I don't have a pump yet. Trying to decide if I want to purchase a resevour and better pump to feed the 2x10 or not

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I wanted to FINALLY add to this:
modifying your power steering pump to feed that ram up front!!!!!!

(this came from my s10 1 ton SAS thread)

So, I pulled the valve out of the ps pump, took it apart, modified a few things, doubtful anyone wants the boring details of the whole process, but I'll bore you anyways.

I drilled out the main fitting (all the way to the right) . The hole in the middle measures about .125" in a pump, I drilled it out .0625-.125 larger, in this case, I picked the middle road, and went .0937 larger... Making it .218, you can see the pic of it opened up next to a stock one.

*****DOING THIS INCREASES LOW RPM FLOW!****

Follow that, I removed the shim from under the end cap (the threaded piece on the end of the hardened piston, third from the left), I inserted a shim (between .025-.031 thick) in the bottom of the piston housing (7th over from the left)

*****THIS INCREASES BLOW BY PRESSURE!*****

You may also additionally grind a little bit off of the limiting stud (5th over from the left)

***this is so it doesn't completely block off your pressure with the new added shim in the piston housing ****

Before assembling MAKE SURE all the debris is cleaned from the parts, I strongly recommend deburring the bore in the main fitting after you drill it out!!!!!!!!

Following that, I reassemble the piston.

Then from there, I stretched the spring under the piston and housing, it was 1.880, you want to shoot for 2.000-2.500". I just went for 2.125.

*****DOING SO INCREASES THE DURATION OF PRESSURE AT HIGH RPMS!*****

I would recommend if you do the things mentioned above to increase your flow rate, do them 1 mod at a time, try it.

Im doing all at once (the subtle, safe side of the mods) because I'm running a hydraulic ram, and crossover, pushing 39.5-15-16.5 tires.

I need all the pressure I can get safely.

You can drill the main fitting out even further, stretch the spring even further, grind down ALOT of the limiting stud, and go with real thick shim in the piston housing, but at that point, you're pushing the pump to its max capacity, and especially if it's a reman, it might grenade, and in the event of a strong pump, it'll blow out seals in your box!

Given enough pressure you can even blow out the aluminum front box plate!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
In addition to this, inspect the debris screen on the piston assembly, in the case of this old one, it's garbage, doesn't filter anything.

This is important, you do not want trash in your hydraulic system.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
These modifications are to be done if you're comfortable, I guess "mearly a suggestion".

Im not a professional, nor do I claim to be one, these are more tips if you wanna do hydro assist on the cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8