Shade-Tree U-Joint Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
Great write up and pics man.

nice write up.... I remember doing this exact same thing (with the sockets and everything) when working on my truck :) We did it while we had the motor and tranny out of it and figured why not if everything else is out :)

Thanks!.. too bad that wasn't the problem though.

Oh well.. need to look into my tranny problem. Looks like I might need to go head and retire my square as a daily driver for now. Need to start looking for a cheap econo-box. Just got a new job too... so, hopefully something kool comes my way..

Wish me luck fella's!!

I'll keep you all posted on the latest...

Last edited:

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I need to do this myself. Just curious as to why the new joints would be greased after reinstalling driveshaft. Would it not make more sense to grease them before?

Thanks!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I need to do this myself. Just curious as to why the new joints would be greased after reinstalling driveshaft. Would it not make more sense to grease them before?

Thanks!

You could on the slip yoke end but the grease will just push the loose caps off the diff end and not push into the other two caps so it gets greased after installing.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You could on the slip yoke end but the grease will just push the loose caps off the diff end and not push into the other two caps so it gets greased after installing.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thx.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
@ CaliDude76, I put in a Jeep trans slip yoke replacing the standard trans yoke and installed U bolts so I could remove the swing bearing assembly without taking the slip yoke out. And new Dana Spicer joints at all unions. On a truck with a swing bearing there is that extra U joint on both ends of the long shaft. Isn't yours a long bed? It looks like it from the angle.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@CaliDude76,

I looked at the pic of your truck and it's a short bed because you've got one shaft with the slip yoke on the other end. Sorry wasn't looking. Your truck is very nice. Pay as much attention to cleaning the underside as you do the outside. It will last longer and if you have to get under there you won't think twice about it, and you'll be able to see leaks etc. easier to. Just saying. But most people haven't seen the underside of their trucks in decades, let alone thinking about getting under there would give them the shivers.

Sometimes that oil stain on the differ. is the gasket on the cover leaking. Mine was like that to until I finally got under there and cleaned it and changed the cover gasket. Unless there's a lot of pinion gear vibration will the seal in the pinion input shaft where the drive shaft attaches to the yoke with the U bolts, attaches. Oil from the cover gasket will splatter around all over the place going down the road.

Here's a good question for the forum family: What's a good gasket or a prefered way to seal up the differ. cover?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Maybe completely outta line here because i didnt read the whole thread but i did u joints on my 91 s10 yesterday. No process pics but after pics. 5 hours, of heating the factory joints, beating and swearing i got it done.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just did this on my son's truck a week or two ago and passing along a few tips that I sometimes forget.

Rather than using a vice/ press, you can rent a U-Joint/ ball joint tool for free at the local auto parts store. Makes removing and installing joints a 10-30 minute job.

I prefer the Spicer joints that do not have the zerks. They are substantially stronger, greased for life, don't throw grease on underside of car, and to be honest most people don't grease the zerks but every few years anyways.

It appears the OP had the U-Joints that have plastic melted into them from GM. It takes 2-3 minutes with a propane plumbing torch to heat them up until you hear a pop and the plastic "worms" out. Those torches don't get very hot so I always do it in the garage as any type of breeze at all will impede progress.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Just did this on my son's truck a week or two ago and passing along a few tips that I sometimes forget.

Rather than using a vice/ press, you can rent a U-Joint/ ball joint tool for free at the local auto parts store. Makes removing and installing joints a 10-30 minute job.

I prefer the Spicer joints that do not have the zerks. They are substantially stronger, greased for life, don't throw grease on underside of car, and to be honest most people don't grease the zerks but every few years anyways.

It appears the OP had the U-Joints that have plastic melted into them from GM. It takes 2-3 minutes with a propane plumbing torch to heat them up until you hear a pop and the plastic "worms" out. Those torches don't get very hot so I always do it in the garage as any type of breeze at all will impede progress.
It took alot longer to melt that plastic outta mine with an oxy actelyne torch and it didnt fully worm out.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It took alot longer to melt that plastic outta mine with an oxy actelyne torch and it didnt fully worm out.

Yeah, the first one always takes me a few minutes. You have to find the sweet spot on the side about a 1/4" down from the face of the yoke. Any higher and it just melts the plastic back in it seems like. All in all, it took me and my 12yo son probably 30-45 minutes to melt and using the tool to remove the 2 joints. I would also think being in AZ and having a higher ambient temp, no rust also makes it a quicker job than what you have to deal with.

I had the yoke and driveshaft balanced and powdercoated last week and order the U-Joints on Friday so hopefully assemble it later this week. The vice and press method is clumsy, tears up sockets and takes too long. I bought the OTC tool 20 years ago and it has paid for itself over and over many times.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@CaliDude76,

...Here's a good question for the forum family: What's a good gasket or a prefered way to seal up the differ. cover?

The lube locker brand or the aftermarket covers that have the O-Ring.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I like seeing these old threads come back and get revisited. BUT, in this case, the OP Calidude is not likely to be back. Sal got married and was here less often, then had a baby and let us know that and hasn't been here if at all since then in 2011. I wish he would show up. Pretty sure he ended up selling that truck too but I won't swear to it.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, here's something I learned being a father of a daughter and a son. Don't sell that high performance truck, car, etc. when those kids are coming and after they are born. What I found out is little girls like being taken or picked up from school buy dad's with hot rods. I don't know what it is. My grand daughter was the same way. When my daughter was working out of town and I had to pick the kids up from school, my grand daughter wanted her "papa" to come get her in my hot rod truck. I think it may have something to do with...boys. But what do I know I'm just a father. They like going fast with the wind in their hair, it's exciting. Girls like going fast. But what do I know I'm just a guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii