severely rusted stuck ujoint help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's also a tool that makes removing said bearing easier. Might be able to rent or buy one from the parts store.

yepyep

Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
v20
Engine Size
350 tbi
thanks for the help guys I'm dead in the water till Wednesday nobody has the inner bearings in stock that means I'll have one day to put this together before I have to go back to work in Sub-Zero temperatures fun fun I haven't even started the other side yet I got to ask this u joint thing is pissing me off does anybody know the correct you joints my truck is supposed to have? GM corporate 10 bolt Napa gave me the wrong ones I just test fitted One of the ones they gave me it might go in if you beat it with a sledge but I don't really want to do that sorry for any messed up wording I'm using voice to text

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I haven't changed any axle shaft joints in a while, but I sort of remember most of the replacements being slightly larger than the originals.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had the bigger than original thing come up on my 91 suburban as well

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I had the bigger than original thing come up on my 91 suburban as well
Does a corporate 10 bolt use late d44 parts or would it be kinda like D44 who decided lets have differences sprinkled in there for good luck

also that cutter:

You must be registered for see images attach

yepyep

Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
v20
Engine Size
350 tbi
Does a corporate 10 bolt use late d44 parts or would it be kinda like D44 who decided lets have differences sprinkled in there for good luck

also that cutter:

its probly not good enough for a garage but ive had great luck with it and the price is pretty amazing i am using it exclusively on 220v though i have never tried it wired for 110v it can do both. it could cut that damn truck in half if i wanted it to

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
whatd you do take em back or grind em down?
It has been a while. I think I actually used a good oem set in that case. Had ujoint fight on my elco before being too tight, and ended up grinding the caps down a bit on the one.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
its probly not good enough for a garage but ive had great luck with it and the price is pretty amazing i am using it exclusively on 220v though i have never tried it wired for 110v it can do both. it could cut that damn truck in half if i wanted it to
So I havent used a plasma cutter since 2014 and I only did once, and ive also learned way more since that was freshman year of hS lol, but what is the air hook up for? is that use compressed air to cool or is it for the process to make the plasma cutter cut with plasma lol. I am strikingly curious and ddint realize they have become so affordable and I have a large open spot below my 220 welder that something that size would fit well and there is an air hookup to my air lines right next to it too.

I was thinking about getting my torch set some gas and oxygen and learning how to use that but a plasma cutter may be better to start out with for simplicity and ease. I was able to use it very well according to the teacher (cut straight lines, steady) but since things like melting bolts fire is daunting and getting the gas cylinders and using in enclosed shed and valves and etc The plasma cutter seems better to get the comfort spot. Then maybe once there I can get cracking on the welder

yepyep

Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
v20
Engine Size
350 tbi
So I havent used a plasma cutter since 2014 and I only did once, and ive also learned way more since that was freshman year of hS lol, but what is the air hook up for? is that use compressed air to cool or is it for the process to make the plasma cutter cut with plasma lol. I am strikingly curious and ddint realize they have become so affordable and I have a large open spot below my 220 welder that something that size would fit well and there is an air hookup to my air lines right next to it too.

I was thinking about getting my torch set some gas and oxygen and learning how to use that but a plasma cutter may be better to start out with for simplicity and ease. I was able to use it very well according to the teacher (cut straight lines, steady) but since things like melting bolts fire is daunting and getting the gas cylinders and using in enclosed shed and valves and etc The plasma cutter seems better to get the comfort spot. Then maybe once there I can get cracking on the welder

thats why i started with a plasma cutter as well on top of all that its a pain to get the gas here and you need a license or contract to get your bottles filled at least in maine anyways and from how i understand it and im far from an expert i think the compressed air blasts the molten metal out so it can cut otherwise youd have a pool of melted steel that would just sit in the hole your trying to cut