SBC 383 stroker TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987_chevy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
SBC 350
What needs to be done in order to run a 383 stroker on the originally 350 TBI system? Bigger injectors? More fuel pressure? Let me know!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Bigger fuel pump, the lph rating is determined by the estimated hp of the engine. It needs to supply enough fuel at the desired pressure but you don't want to push more than the return line to the tank can handle. There are some online calculators that can give you an idea of volume and pressure for your engine's needs.

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

BBC injectors. Some guys have run sbc injectors at very high pressure but since a 383 can make big block power you might as well run bbc injectors.

Bigger throttle body. You can use a modified sbc tb, usually bored to 46 mm, or adapt a bbc throttle body that has the 2'' throttle plates. Again, it depends on your estimated hp.

Intake manifold. The Edelbrock 3704 can be machined to match the size of the throttle body in most cases. I've read they can be bored to 2" but the shop that did mine would only guarantee their work to 46mm. They were concerned about going through the port wall if they went beyond that.

Custom chip for the ecm. No way the stock prom is going to handle a 383. Mail order chips are a possibility but it usually requires a few attempts and information supplied to the tuner via data logging. There are still shops that do custom dyno tuning for these old systems but they're getting scarce. If your budget is fat, just get a FAST Ez-Efi system and let it's onboard computer do all the tuning.

I've probably forgotten a few things but I think that's most of it. Other things like upgraded ignition parts, free flowing exhaust, and a modified air cleaner will also help you get the most out of the extra cubic inches.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Depends on the cam and heads, but 454 tbi unit with flow matched injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a way to tune

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87ScottW