Sandblasting advice needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I use heat and different sized scraping blades/gasket removers for bedliner, rubberized undercoat and all flexible paints. Takes some time but it's not that much of mess. For smaller parts a good airgun does the trick for bigger parts the big propane torch.
I scraped all the paint off the blue truck. It was the only coat of paint, the factory paint got sanded to almost bare metal and it managed to stick well enough to the primer that was used, but not well enough to scuff and squirt since it for the most part came off clean off of the primer. 1000 little flakes if cold. In strips like fruit rollup if heated with the torch or heat gun (heat gun too slow though). The flat areas stripped pretty quick and all the "other" little areas took twice as long as the majority of the square footage.
But inside the bed was/is a totally different story. Not conducive to those methods (and probably take as long as the whole rest of the truck). I was going to have the inside of the bed blasted, but I painted the inside of the tailgate with just some rough prep and it turned out plenty good enough for the inside of a truck bed. So the bed is getting painted.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies, got side tracked and still haven't done anything with the bed. Rhino liner had a sale that ended the middle of February and once I missed that deadline I quit looking. I had a wiring issue I just got fixed tonight (I lost all my lights to the rear end, found a bad ground wire). Now that the lights are working again I can take the truck to some places to see if they can get it out.
My story doesn't help you out though. With the bed-liner like that, you're either stripping that stuff off chemically or alot of time with some large power tools (think about how hard the edges and seams will be to do though). I'd just go get it blasted for sure if you're painting it.
If you stick with rhino lining it, I may first assess if the remaining bedliner is bonded wall. If you think it is (I doubt the shop will warranty the adhesion though) I'd think you will never see it under rhino liner.

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I asked Rhino about it and they said they wouldn't even apply unless it was down to metal when I brought it in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota