Salt:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Is roadsalt in and of itself harmful to cars?

The roadcrews around here put down salt BEFORE it snowed. Is this harmful to the truck if it hasn't been mixed with any moisture----snow, rain etc.?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Is roadsalt in and of itself harmful to cars?

The roadcrews around here put down salt BEFORE it snowed. Is this harmful to the truck if it hasn't been mixed with any moisture----snow, rain etc.?

The dust generated by the traffic on the salt will blow into nooks and crannies. Once Moisture is added it begins its work. Its not as bad as when it is in slush form on the roads but it can still cause some corrosion.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
The dust generated by the traffic on the salt will blow into nooks and crannies. Once Moisture is added it begins its work. Its not as bad as when it is in slush form on the roads but it can still cause some corrosion.

Ok, so i think i'm going to hold off on driving it for a while.

mr heavy-chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
fox
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
blast it with water if you drive it on an especially snowy, slushy, salty day....
otherwise, blast it with WD40 to help keep it from sticking and eating metal

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
If it is just pure salt it is bad when it gets wet. However in the summer when it is nice and hot and dry salt will be in its crystal form and it is harmless at that time.

The chemical de-icer they use here will eat the truck almost year round. Even in the summer time it stays a bit gooey and will pull moisture out of the air and will keep eating the metal. After so many years of complaints they are finally going back to sand/gravel. Sounds great to me.

Salt will typically wash away quickly also when washing your vehicle. The de-icer stays a goo and doesn't like to come off easily.

A step up from WD-40 is fluidfilm. Basically WD-40 mixed with wax. Wax floats up to the surface to "seal" the metal. Can also use it to lube door hinges and whatnot. I've been using it the last 2 years and spraying it inside the doors, fenders, under bed cross supports... pretty much anywhere. Wish I knew about it before the truck rusted with the de-icer.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If it is just pure salt it is bad when it gets wet. However in the summer when it is nice and hot and dry salt will be in its crystal form and it is harmless at that time.

The chemical de-icer they use here will eat the truck almost year round. Even in the summer time it stays a bit gooey and will pull moisture out of the air and will keep eating the metal. After so many years of complaints they are finally going back to sand/gravel. Sounds great to me.

Salt will typically wash away quickly also when washing your vehicle. The de-icer stays a goo and doesn't like to come off easily.

A step up from WD-40 is fluidfilm. Basically WD-40 mixed with wax. Wax floats up to the surface to "seal" the metal. Can also use it to lube door hinges and whatnot. I've been using it the last 2 years and spraying it inside the doors, fenders, under bed cross supports... pretty much anywhere. Wish I knew about it before the truck rusted with the de-icer.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Flyid film is good stuff. Stinky but good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS