Saddle Tanks NOT near as dangerous as publicized !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
:flipthebird: NBC !!!

Keep in mind, there is some obovious danger to the location of the saddle tanks. People did die in explosions in these trucks. But, the danger obviously isn't near as bad as the public was led to beleive.

Thanks for the info G Dawg !!!

When I was a kid one of my friends had both his parents die from a saddle tank rupture in an accident. It was pretty tragic. They actually had time to escape but there was no one to get them out as they were both unconscious and the accident happened out in the boonies. The other driver died as well.

I have been musing over this pic and wondering if it would help any in the event of a side impact ???
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
When I was a kid one of my friends had both his parents die from a saddle tank rupture in an accident. It was pretty tragic. They actually had time to escape but there was no one to get them out as they were both unconscious and the accident happened out in the boonies. The other driver died as well.

I have been musing over this pic and wondering if it would help any in the event of a side impact ???

I think it will heavily depend on the how the steps are mounted, but they can help or hurt the situation

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
about the original post, I hope this doesn't surprise anybody that NBC rigged it. highdesertranger

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size

When I was a kid a girl that babysat me died from gasoline leaking on her in a rolled late 60's Ford truck that still had the tank in the cab.

The risk of death by fire in a side impact crash of any manufacturers' fullsize truck of this vintage is about the same.
You'll be lucky to survive a side impact in a full-size GM light truck... my girlfriend in 1990 did not survive a Mazda B2000 slamming into the driver door of an 85 3/4 ton Suburban.

Be mildly careful.

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

79ramp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I've had a couple rigs with the fuel tanks in the cab and everyone else is always freaked out by it. But I've always figured if someone hits me hard enough that it breaches the cab, breaches the tank, and ignites the fuel...I would probably not be around to ever know the tank blew, nor would I really want to survive that sort of impact. I think the same thing goes for these saddle tanks.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
With the saddle tanks, and the NBC tests where they "exploded"... Dateline had to rig the tanks with an ignitor in order to get them to explode... the saddle tank scare was totally fabricated.

http://whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/LIE/nbc.html

That came out back in the '80's. GM sued the pants off'em!

I rolled this truck at about 85mph+, no fuel spill, but not a side impact either.

If you weren't drunk you'd almost certainly be dead now!

Dan Miller

K15SG
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Changing a saddle tank on my K15 today. Did 2 others in the past . Won't take long ,, just a P.I.T.A.Have to
adjust my eyesight and brain first

Dan Miller

K15SG
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Well , not so easy this time. Had to remove my right exhaust pipe to get to the bolts . Glasspac was right in the way . Then two of the tacked nuts came loose from the tank mount , so I had to squeeze a 5/8 wrench between the tank and frame to assist. Luckily it worked . Get the thing off and my sending unit was rusted as f#@k . So while I'm at it, in goes a new one . Might as well while it is out and I am still kind of in the mood . Enough for one day after working last night.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Does anyone know if theres a difference in the right and left filler hose for the 20 gal tank? Im looking for new ones and none of the auto stores carry them

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
the parts stores that carry Gates have them but the idiots behind the counter are to lazy or don't know what they are doing. if you go to the Gates website they have a complete catalog reference by dimension. they have them. highdesertranger

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
the parts stores that carry Gates have them but the idiots behind the counter are to lazy or don't know what they are doing. if you go to the Gates website they have a complete catalog reference by dimension. they have them. highdesertranger
Our napa has gates... i should check them

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Havin a hard time on the gates website finding fuel hoses

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg