Reverse Lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd check the grounds behind the lenses. Common they lose thier ground. Just pull the wire off, hit it with some sand paper to clean off the sheetmetal back there, snug it back up. I know you're already thinking, but the turn and tail work so it can't be that. But, yes it can. The tail and turn can use each other as a ground as a borrowed ground and still have those light work. This is usually noticeable when you go to hook up trailer lights on the same circuits back there.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
I'd check the grounds behind the lenses. Common they lose thier ground. Just pull the wire off, hit it with some sand paper to clean off the sheetmetal back there, snug it back up. I know you're already thinking, but the turn and tail work so it can't be that. But, yes it can. The tail and turn can use each other as a ground as a borrowed ground and still have those light work. This is usually noticeable when you go to hook up trailer lights on the same circuits back there.

they are working great now, but that is still a great idea ill do that thanks :grd:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
this post is for oneluckypops :grd: ok i got my light tester out and went out to my truck and did diagnostic checked if there was fire coming in to the Reverse Safty Switch and there was, step 2 checked to see if i had fire coming out and i did not, ok i have complete wiring diagrams for this truck and i seen where it had a wire coming from the lock cylinder that is hot when the key is on so i checked so i check it and that wire never got hot, found where is was cut into fixed that and i was now getting fire out of the reverse safety switch and still no reverse lights, so i pulled the driver side tail light assembly out and check seen what color the wire was diagram said light green and sure enough it was so i go under the truck and found where the wire was dry rotted and grounding out on the frame so i replace the wire running from the out of the cab all the way to the tail light assembly to get rid of the dry rotting problem, sure enough i have the driver side reverse light but passenger side is still out, double checked the bulb and it was good, so i got back under the truck and found where when my uncle wired in a 7-way trailer plug he cut that wire lol, fixed that and now i have both reverse lights working. and it didnt cost me a penny due to diagnostics and tracing wires, hows that method sound oneluckypops? hahaha :grd:

sounds like you maybe are starting to wisen up. Diagnostics ARE ALWAYS cheaper then just throwing parts at it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67