Returning to my past

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
First buy a tonneau cover for the truck, it will keep your tools, supplies etc dry when you get caught in the rain or snow. If you are serious about doing something like this you need to find places that will rent you bays in their shop and either have parts pre delivered there or in the truck when you roll in. The is a place like this that was on TV called the dog house http://www.kulturedcustoms.com/dog-house/ you may want to contact them and see if you can rent a bay to do the swaps.

I will look into it. I am a bit delayed as I am still making repairs so it will run correctly. I had many wiring and vacuum issues. I pulled the intake and most of the wiring so I am now reinstalling and getting closer to traveling.

I cannot use a toneau cover because I am carrying a 2013 Honda 650XL dual sport in the back. It is my wheels when I repair my truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
If there is enough money for new parts summit parking lot. Or rent a summer apartment unit and use their parking lot for used engine swap. I have done three engine swaps in apartment complex parking lot without too many problems.

I was thinking rent a garage or house with garage. Just camp in the garage. My lady likes my crazy plans so it makes things easier. Colombian farm girls are the best!

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
We drove from California to Texas with suburban that we bought. Had to get a rental car for a day to pick it up. Had rear brakes fail, tps, and also hit an elk on the way back. Was not too far away from roadkill experience. But that was before roadkill came out. Actually I have been through a lot of roadkill like experience except for no fast cars with a lot of money in them. It was just living with old cars.

I grew up like that as well. It suchs when you are broke down but now I can hear things going wrong with the vehicle I am driving that nobody else can hear. You are always listening for things flying apart. I also learned this skill running farm equipment which always breaks down.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Will Summit let you work in their parking lot? I know a lot of places won't even let you change wiper blades or a fan belt in their lots. Not sure if it's because of local ordinances or what.

Every thing gets done in a Walmart parking lot!!!!

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Just like if they didn’t see your plate and as it really you?

I tested that theory in my university days. We were driving street bikes on campus sidewalks. I left the campus and I got stopped. The guy was trying to make me say it was me but I said it was the other guys. He had nothing to go on so he had to let me go. Yes or no answers and deny everything else.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
We live close to David in an urbanization. We are about 45 minutes from the Costa Rican border. Hot as hell but the rent is much lower. I can drive to David in 10 minutes on my motorcycle but I have to split lanes the whole way. If you do not get stopped was it really a traffic violation?

San Pablo?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
..... I am a bit delayed as I am still making repairs so it will run correctly. I had many wiring and vacuum issues. I pulled the intake and most of the wiring so I am now reinstalling and getting closer to traveling.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sounds similar to what I did back in early May this year. Was getting married and needed to tow her car back after. The only vehicle I have that was up to task for the trek was my '65 3/4 ton Crusty Biscuit. BUT, I didn't trust the engine. So I had some heads reworked, replaced the cam, resealed most of the engine, did all the break-in procedures, test drove it around town about an hour's worth of driving, fixed any leaks or bugs and loaded up and hit the road. The actual road test was going to southwest Texas and back. Actually made it without issue. These old trucks are badass!!

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Sounds similar to what I did back in early May this year. Was getting married and needed to tow her car back after. The only vehicle I have that was up to task for the trek was my '65 3/4 ton Crusty Biscuit. BUT, I didn't trust the engine. So I had some heads reworked, replaced the cam, resealed most of the engine, did all the break-in procedures, test drove it around town about an hour's worth of driving, fixed any leaks or bugs and loaded up and hit the road. The actual road test was going to southwest Texas and back. Actually made it without issue. These old trucks are badass!!

I appreciate the simplicity and the engine bay space. The cost of repairs are reasonable. I am interested in a self learning throttle body fuel injection.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
We live close to David in an urbanization. We are about 45 minutes from the Costa Rican border. Hot as hell but the rent is much lower. I can drive to David in 10 minutes on my motorcycle but I have to split lanes the whole way. If you do not get stopped was it really a traffic violation?

My drivers education teacher said nothing’s illegal unless you get caught. I was blowing through a yellow light at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size