RETRO-Mod: Jeep intermediate steering shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cool mod! Too bad we don't have U-pull-it yards around here
You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Cool mod! Too bad we don't have U-pull-it yards around here
You must be registered for see images attach

Travel to the one here in KC :handshake:

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
<~~ working at LKQ salvage yard now and this is something im waiting to see a jeep come through lol. I tear down all the engines we pull to just a long block with tins on it.

rscustomrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am picking up one in mesa tomorrow and will try this install over my weekend. Thanks guys for the info. I am also waiting to see if someone who has done it comments on just how much it improves steering play.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I put one in my S10 Blazer and it is a HUGE difference. My buddy put one in his Syclone and he was amazed at how much tighter his steering is.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I hope to be doing it real soon too since I picked up a couple this past week. Well OK, maybe 3 or even 4 of them. :rofl: Just incase one don't work or sumthin !!! Just not sure which truck to do it to first.

attachment.php

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, Retro, are these things supposed to be telescopic or collapsible? If they are, it's sure gonna be tough. They seem rock solid. Aren't they supposed to collapse in case of a front end collision so you don't get a steering column in your Adams apple?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
No, they don't collapse easily, that's why you have to heat it up and melt the plastic rings that keep the two halves together or if you're like me and torch-less, cut the larger shaft's end and get the rings out and put them back together.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I guess I better go get one, study up on it. I'm not sure I know what you mean by melt the platic rings. I've got a torch. Just a propane torch if that's hot enough.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Not sure if it will be, I would imagine so. There's 2 small plastic rings on the smaller shaft that the larger shaft slides over from the factory, they need to be removed so the shaft will be able to fit in place of the squarebody steering shaft.

Maybe this will help explain. I didn't take any pics. Maybe I'll grab one next time and do a better pic show. Perhaps send it to Stoked since I don't think my '88 can use it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SteerJipShaft 004.jpg
    SteerJipShaft 004.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,162

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ahhh, OK. That makes sense. So I'm actually going to remove that sleeve. I guess the sleeve is actually just a stop to size up the shaft. :shrug: I see the white plastic in there. So first, get torch and burn that **** out. Bend and mangle the sleeve and get it off, then heat where the 2 shafts meet and small one slides into the big one to break them loose so they slide apart and together.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK Retro Honey, just for you. I did some work on this. Actually the sleeve didn't need heated up, I just pryed it apart, it kinda snaps on. Being it's not going to be reused, doesn't matter if it breaks or not.

attachment.php

Now for the heating up or cutting the large shaft part. I'd suggest don't do the cutting at all. There's a reason I'll get to. As far as heating it, OMG, took forever and ever using a propane torch. Mapp gas gets hotter, maybe that would be better, but the propane does work. DO NOT BREATHE these fumes. I did this in the garage with it closed up. I am feeling very sick now. Sore throat, eyes burning, sniffles, upset stomach etc. So do it in a ventilated area. I didn't see a good place to hit it with a BFH to help it along that wouldn't possibly hurt a joint, or knuckle, or bend the shaft. So squared up the connecter on the ground and pushed down as I heated, and why the fumes were coming straight up in my face. Finally after about 15 minutes of heating it up, and watching this nasty stuff leak out of the shaft, it let loose and the whole shaft finally collapsed and the bigger shaft ate up the little shaft.

Attachments

• Jip2SBsteershaft 002.jpg
    Jip2SBsteershaft 002.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,114

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77