Resurrecting Clifford the big red 87 R3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is this your build thread on Clifford George? I'm getting confused with your other threads and linking here and there. Let me know if this is your build thread for the truck. I'll move it out of Tech Discussion into the Under Construction category where the build threads go.

BTW, it would be cool of you can go under the Engine Performance > TBI and Fuel Injection and do a tech write up on the Data Logger for the TBI OBD 1. The software used, where you acquired it, how you made the cable etc.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Is this your build thread on Clifford George? I'm getting confused with your other threads and linking here and there. Let me know if this is your build thread for the truck. I'll move it out of Tech Discussion into the Under Construction category where the build threads go.

BTW, it would be cool of you can go under the Engine Performance > TBI and Fuel Injection and do a tech write up on the Data Logger for the TBI OBD 1. The software used, where you acquired it, how you made the cable etc.

:sorry:
Sorry for the confusion. Yes this is my build thread. I should have placed the surging issue in this thread instead of starting another thread but I noticed the threads with problem statements in the title seem to get more views so I started another thread in the hopes I would get some more views and a solution. I was trying to figure out how to move my build thread but I don't think I can....

I think I may put a closing statement in the Surging thread with a link to this one and then quote the last few posts from the surging thread in this one for reference to reduce confusion. will that help?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Where is this crack? Can you get another backed up pic so we can see where it's at? I see a pushrod I believe. So does this mean it's in the valley of the block?

Wishing I would have taken a few more pics now that it's back together and running. Anyhow here is an image I grabbed indicating the location of the crack.
It almost looks like it is not in a water jacket area.....

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I will need to check my fuel pressure for diagnostic purposes and am contemplating installing a permanent guage in the feed line by the TBI. While I like that idea I don't like how tight it is to the coil for one of the adapters i see that threads in place of the current one in the TBI. I am thinking about cutting in a nice branch tee there instead. I would put it in where there is already a bend in the line. I also don't like the idea of cutting up my factory fuel line since they seem hard to find new. Does anyone have any examples of what they have done???

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I picked up a nice clean cab complete with doors and glass today. Unfortunatly the rockers have been smooshed in the front so some pulling is in order. Cant decide if I should paint the truck blue or red now. Blue is easier since I wont have to paint all the interior steel or the fire wall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 108

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Gonna have to make me one of these!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 94

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I will need to check my fuel pressure for diagnostic purposes and am contemplating installing a permanent guage in the feed line by the TBI. While I like that idea I don't like how tight it is to the coil for one of the adapters i see that threads in place of the current one in the TBI. I am thinking about cutting in a nice branch tee there instead. I would put it in where there is already a bend in the line. I also don't like the idea of cutting up my factory fuel line since they seem hard to find new. Does anyone have any examples of what they have done???

I'm not sure there is a really "good" way to do an inline gauge. I ordered the RVMorse adapter...don't waste your time. There is no way to bend the factory line to fit right. Even to get the line screwed into the adapter, I had to start putting a little bit of kink into it, and I can't bolt up my ignition coil properly (it's hanging by one bolt right now).

What I am planning to do, since I already own a 37* flare tool, is cut the factory line and put an -6AN tube nut on it, connect that to an inline -6AN coupler with an 1/8" NPT port, and then bend up a short line that connects to an -6AN to 16x1.5mm metric o-ring adapter (listed as a power steering adapter) that threads into the factory TBI connector.

Here is the parts list I ordered tonight:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 150

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I installed a 10,000 PSI rated branch tee in place of the tight 90 deg bend right by the TBI. It worked out well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 110

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
This cab is an 84 with a low hump and I have an sm465. How did they clear the top of the trans in 84. Were there two different cabs or did they have a cover that gets installed?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I installed a 10,000 PSI rated branch tee in place of the tight 90 deg bend right by the TBI. It worked out well.

Awesome! Do you have any good closeups of where the Tee ties in and how it fits?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Here you go. i had to do a little tube bending but nothing major. The coil still uses the factory mounting. That tee is 3/8 comp x 3/8 comp x 1/4 npt. I used a reducer bushing down to 1/8 npt and a 90 deg elbow so I could clear my throttle cable. hard to get a good pic in the work parking lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
This cab is an 84 with a low hump and I have an sm465. How did they clear the top of the trans in 84. Were there two different cabs or did they have a cover that gets installed?

looks like I will have to cut the old dump out and install it into the new cab...

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
looks like I will have to cut the old dump out and install it into the new cab...

The cabs were different, while older years used a bolt in hump

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Here you go. i had to do a little tube bending but nothing major. The coil still uses the factory mounting. That tee is 3/8 comp x 3/8 comp x 1/4 npt. I used a reducer bushing down to 1/8 npt and a 90 deg elbow so I could clear my throttle cable. hard to get a good pic in the work parking lot.

Awesome, thanks man!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000