Replacement suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hello,

I recently purchased a 1987 Chevy k10 w/lift kit. I am going to use this as a work truck and plan on taking the lift off. The previous owner no longer had the stock springs/shocks. I found a good source for springs (I think) on the internet with SDtrucksprings. They have several different types for the rear - I do know that the fronts were 2-leaf springs.

Any idea what springs I should be getting for the rears since I know the fronts were 2-leafs?

Anyone know any other good places to buy springs?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome aboard Matt.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Around here there is a tractor-trailer supply company called WV Spring & Radiator, they re-arch springs and can get new springs for any truck, not just big rigs. You may want to call around places like that, or call garages and see what they recommend. If you have a buddy in a garage they might be able to get them wholesale or on a company discount.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What kind of lift does it have? Wonder how much it would cost to ship springs? I've got a set of stock K10 springs I'd trade you for. Freight from OKC to Iowa shouldn't be much if they were put in a cheap thrown together narrow wooden box. In fact, if I could find the weight, the dimensions of a box needed, I could make a box, ship you the springs, do the swap, then ship you're back in the same box.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
At this point I am not really interesting in trading out suspensions, but I will probably have this lift kit for sale in the near future. It is a rough country 4" lift w/o blocks - all springs. Apparently it only has 200 miles on the kit and I believe it as it looks brand new.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh yeah, that makes sense if they're new. 4inch isn't to bad, you might get used to those too. If you're dead set on getting them swapped out, you'd just need to find a set of 52 inch half ton springs. They'd all be 52 on a 4x4, and on a 2wd, they could be 52 or 56 inch. If you're looking for a smoother ride, then you could even move your rear spring hangers back the the next set of holes which are for 56 in 3/4 ton springs, and use 56 inch half ton springs, but the 52 inch half tons should be direct bolt ins, so should the 2 leaf fronts. As usual, you're to far away or I have 2 leaf fronts, and 52 or 56 inch half tons here. All OEM originals in great shape.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for that reply, that is very good information. Any idea which rear springs I should be getting? All the websites I visiting have several options - 4,5,6 leaf springs are available. It sounds like its more which weight rating I am looking for. The fronts were 2 leaf, so I imagine I would be looking at the 4 or 5 leaf springs for rears. From what i can tell the 4 leaves are actually stronger than the 5 leaf too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
In a K10, the rears are for sure 52 inch, and you're right as far as the # of leafs, depends on the load rating and suspension package. If you want I can count the leafs on my K10's that still have the OEM springs.

Here is some spring info as far as spring length.
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS