Replacement electric external fuel pump suggestion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay a mechanical pump with three lines,1 line is a fuel return line to help prevent vapor lock and is a better pump than almost any electric pump you could put on a square. To replace that with an electric pump your 2 simplest options are use a wix 33041 fuel filter,or a bypass regullator,I know 3 more ways,time and space don't permit. An electric pump needs to be mounted close to the tank,should be below fuel level,at fuel level as a last resort,(read what the 12s propaganda says,gravity fed) powered by a relay, switched by an oil pressure switch or triggered by the alternator. A Mr gasket 12s lasted about 100 miles on my carbureted burb,I called MrGasket they said it really wasn't enough pump for a 350 4bbl burb . I personally would not run an electric pump on a carbureated square unless there was no other choice. In which case I'd use an intank pump,with a bypass regulator,just like the factory did them. @voodooskin carbureated squares had mechanical pumps,no electric pump required. The problem is when people use newer injected blocks in older carbureated chassis. Some later blocks do not have provisions for a mechanical pump. Those blocks came in vehicles that had in tank electric pumps. There's a reason the manufacturers put the pumps in the tank,it's not to make your life hard,it's to make the pumps life easy and long. Even if you find a vehicle with an external pump anymore it is fed by an intank electric pump it doesn't draw fuel,it pushes fuel.

Last edited:

voodooskin

Reaction score
First Name
Voodoo
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I have a mech pump on the block, I think I'll try just try bypassing the wonky aftermarket electric and see if she runs with only the mechanical unit. If not I'll swap out the electrical pump for something more reliable.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The factory mechanical pump is the most reliable thing going. Unless the pumps bad or the cams flat,it doesn't need a pusher pump. Browse the forum you'll find 6 my external electric pump failed to every 1 my electric pump works great. Your vehicle will run without a pusher pump,if it won't the pusher pump is just masking the real problem.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell